Mothering Forum banner

Should our son say dookie for poo-poo?

• I agree with Dad dookie is acceptable.

Votes: 65 82.3%
  • I agree with Mom dookie is NOT acceptable.

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • Both dookie or poo-poo are acceptable.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Do you agree our toddler should say dookie for poop?

4K views 45 replies 39 participants last post by  kriket 
#1 ·
My husband and I are at odds. I hate the word "dookie," but my husband persists in telling my son, "Did you go dookie?" "Are you dookie-ing?" I have this fear our son will be in public and announce, "I just dookied!" and everyone will look at him like, "Excuse me?" I prefer poo-poo. What do you think? Agree or disagree on the usage? Our son is currently 17 months old and doesn't say either at the moment.

#3 ·
I think they are both acceptable, perhaps dookie is a bit less ok, but still. However, I think that if you that strongly dislike of the word "dookie", then your dh should find a different word. (likewise, if he hates "poo-poo" then you should find a different word.)

#4 ·
I don't think it really matters what you call it, it is what it is, you know? But if you hate it I think it makes sense for you and your DH to come up with some kind of compromise.

And really neither is all that great for you kid to yell out. And trust me.... they will yell it. My DD is really good at "MOMMY!!! I POOPED MY BUM MOMMY! I POOPED MY BUM!!!!!"

#6 ·
I wouldn't call "dookie" unacceptable, but your kid is bound to end up learning and using a more common word for it eventually, when he meets other kids and finds out that (probably) none of them use the word "dookie." Why not start right out with a word he'll still feel comfortable using when he's 6 or 8, instead of one that will probably come to seem babyish and embarrassing to him?

#7 ·
I don't think dookie is acceptable for your family mostly because you feel so strongly against it. I think it's important to come up with a word you are both comfortable using.

fwiw, I hate the word dookie. I also don't like poo-poo, pee-pee, or boo-boo. Dookie sounds just gross to me. I feel stupid saying poo-poo/pee-pee. And boo-boo is what you put a band-aid on.

We use the words "poop" or "poo."

#9 ·
Im not fond of any word that takes me time to figure out. If a young person was at my house for play date and said I have to dookie I would say HUH? We us go potty or go poop.

#10 ·
Agreement is between you and your dh. What does his family use?

What is the difference between dookie, poop, verses having a bowel movement or feces? Bowel movement or feces would actually be more medically correct. The other two are slang terms.

-- maybe you need a different connection to dookie --- its a cute video. It was were my mind first went for dookie :) Thanks to my girls for that mental picture.

Then it went to wine http://www.humehealth.com.au/lifestyledookie/browse.asp?page=

And there is college in Melboure with Dookie in the name. A friend of my husband's study viticulture there.

So yes, I did have to think about the dookie-poop connection.

#12 ·
Dd1 couldn't say a proper hard "c" sound for a long time and the word "cookie" always came out "dookie" so we definitely wouldn't be using that
winky.gif
. We use poop and pee here. Cutesy, funny words make me cringe.

#13 ·
Other... Both of those terms bug me, but for different reasons. Dookie just doesn't sound like it has any meaning at all, and the other one is just so cutesy and babytalkish that I can't ever bring my self to say it.

#15 ·
I don't like dookie. I don't have any reason, though-- it just sounds nasty to me. It sounds like you feel the same way.

It may be that "dookie" is what DH's mother taught him to call it, though. Those kinds of words, the ones we learned as very small children, tend to stick with us. My mom called pee "tinkle" and even though I know I've decided to teach my kids to say other words, "tinkle" still slips out sometimes.

If you hate the word, I would say to work with DH to find something you can both live with-- because you ARE going to live with it, for years, in public and private, and so it's better to start with a word that won't make you cringe.

We call it "poo" here. Actually, DD1 tells us she "dropped a stink bomb," but that's something she learned on the school bus, not from ME.
eyesroll.gif

#16 ·
We use poop. I really don't like potty or toilet because I need to know which one is happening. My youngest has been having a problem with understanding the difference between pee, toot and poop lately. He yells, "I gotta go potty." Fine, he goes. He's slowly learning that he needs to call me in when he has pooped so I can wipe him.

Back when my 4 year old was still calling me in to wipe him, he used to tell me that he, "dropped a dukedom."

#17 ·
We use poopies. I think dookie is just too...crass (?) or something? Idk, reminds me of Greenday and I just don't like it. Maybe find a middle ground and use something completely different.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

We use poopies. I think dookie is just too...crass (?) or something? Idk, reminds me of Greenday and I just don't like it. Maybe find a middle ground and use something completely different.
I think that sums it up for me, too; that word has a crass connotation. It may be what his family says though so he doesn't see it that way.

I also don't like using cutesy words that other people won't understand immediately. We say pee or peepee and poop or poopie.

#20 ·
Anyone else reminded of a Green Day album?

Anyway, I don't really like the word, but I also don't think there's any way to make a bowel movement sound cutesy. Either way, it's gross and probably a little embarrassing to hear your kid yell in a crowd.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post

Or to hear your toddler pointing at a something and screaming "DUMB F***!! DUMB F***!!" while jumping up and down, as a *DUMP TRUCK* drives by!!
spitdrink.gif

Too funny.

But yeah, for me, Dookie was a Green Day album. I had it on tape AND CD. And it does sound a little more crass, but really, if it works, I wouldn't choose that hill to die on. We say poop and pee. My parents only said "bowel movement." No wonder I was in diapers for ever.

#25 ·
It's really something your dh and you should agree on-- neither of you should have to cringe at the word and there are so many possibilities there should be something you both agree on!

Since you asked....personally I don't lie either. "Dookie" is kind of a headscratcher for me and sounds vaguely like a "bad word"..."poo-poo" meanwhile is just too baby talk-y and makes me cringe. We say poop or poopies around here, which may not be much better.

#26 ·
Don't like Dookie at all.
nono02.gif
Not sure why I just don't like the sound of it. haha.

We use poo. I think it makes sense to use a work that other people will understand. If your LO is with someone else and says "I go Dookie"... it could be confusing.
wink1.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.