Mothering Forum banner

Does delivering twins automatically mean an epidural is necessary?

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Ellie'sMom 
#1 ·
A close friend of mine is due with twins at the beginning of May. (She would be posting here because I bought her a subscription, but nobody at Mothering will answer my calls/ emails about it.) For insurance reasons and legalities, she is giving birth in a hospital. Her obgyn has told her that she "must" have an epidural to deliver vaginally. Does anybody have the experience delivering twins and forgoing an epidural? My SIL had twins and her obgyn told her the same and she trusted him and went with it. Also, she will be 36 weeks next week and her obgyn wants to induce. She's been on 'bedrest' for a few weeks because her cervix has shortened...but otherwise it is a healthy pregnancy. What would you do?

Thanks all!

#3 ·
I have no experience with it..but no, an epidural isn't necc to deliver twins. Like the PP said people homebirth twins all the time.

I would imagine they want a spinal in place so they can do a c-section quick if they want to

your friend doesn't need a subscription to post here btw...just have to register for the site..unless something has changed since I registered here

#4 ·
Check out the Parenting Multiples forum, you can get lots of firsthand stories from the twin mamas there.

An epidural is very NOT necessary, but I have heard of some docs wanting the epidural catheter in place (the little tube that goes into your back) in case a c/s is needed quickly.

#5 ·
Again, I don't have twins myself, but NO an epidural is not at all necessary to deliver twins. My guess would be that the doctor is already assuming a c-section will happen and therefore an epi in place would save time. As pp have said, women homebirth twins all the time and I personally know someone that homebirthed triplets. It will be difficult for your friend to avoid a c-section in a hospital, especially if one of the twins is breech, but foregoing an epi is a good start!

#6 ·
Hmm, I don't have twins either, but maybe (and this is just me guessing) they anticipate having to turn the 2nd baby either externally or internally, and yes, having an epi would be much more pleasant for that experience -- but by no means necessary.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by landgyrl View Post

A close friend of mine is due with twins at the beginning of May. (She would be posting here because I bought her a subscription, but nobody at Mothering will answer my calls/ emails about it.) For insurance reasons and legalities, she is giving birth in a hospital. Her obgyn has told her that she "must" have an epidural to deliver vaginally. Does anybody have the experience delivering twins and forgoing an epidural? My SIL had twins and her obgyn told her the same and she trusted him and went with it. Also, she will be 36 weeks next week and her obgyn wants to induce. She's been on 'bedrest' for a few weeks because her cervix has shortened...but otherwise it is a healthy pregnancy. What would you do?

Thanks all!
As far as a subscription, I don't think Mothering is issuing a magazine any longer. And to access the forum all you need to do is register.

As to the twins...as far as I know(having never had twins myself) no, an epidural isn't necessary and no, she has no need to induce just because she's 36 weeks and her cervix has shortened. She should try and carry those babies for as long as they need to bake
smile.gif
I know women who have gone to 40 weeks or longer with twins. Once she's 36 or 37 weeks I'm sure she won't have to be on bedrest any longer. I have heard that some doctors like to have the epidural catheter in place in case there is a need for a c/s but no she doesn't have to have an epidural to have those babies. It sounds like her doctor isn't very supportive of a vaginal birth with twins...I know it's late in her pregnancy but is there anyway she can find a doctor who is for vaginal births even with twins?

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post

It sounds like her doctor isn't very supportive of a vaginal birth with twins...I know it's late in her pregnancy but is there anyway she can find a doctor who is for vaginal births even with twins?
That's what it sounds like to me, but no, she is already going to another town to deliver and her options are not really options compared to what some of us are lucky to have. She's in a small town for starters. Having had complications (gestational diabetes and then low amnio fluid) with my boy, I know it is so hard to know who and what to believe when docs start telling you they will induce, etc. ARGH.

Thanks all for your input!

#10 ·
As others have said, the epidural is something some OBs require, but it is certainly not necessary. The logic is that if you deliver one twin vaginally, but then need a section for the second twin (usually because of position), you won't have to have general anesthesia. For the same reason, some docs require that twin moms move to the OR for the pushing stage.

I had my twins at home. No epidural.
winky.gif

You don't need a paid subscription to post on these forums. You don't even need to join if you just want to read. There is lots of wisdom on the Parenting Multiples board, so send your friend on over!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.