Mothering Forum banner

wives' tale or true? if a pregnancy feels very different than a previous pregnancy, babe will be different sex

19K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  tookshire 
#1 ·
This pregnancy has caused much more severe morning sickness and exhaustion than my pregnancy with DD. Does that mean I'm carrying a boy this time, or is that just a wives' tale (which is accurate 50% of the time, of course!)?

For those of you who have already had two children, I'm interested in your assessment!

(I know that women tend to be more tired during pregnancy when they're also caring for a little kid during the day, but it feels like my exhaustion goes well beyond that. DD1 is 3 1/2 years old and a relatively easy kid, has been sleeping through the night for quite a while, so I'm actually decently well-rested at this point. But boy, this pregnancy has me napping many days, after sleeping 8 hours at night! Now at almost 12 weeks I can feel some of the intense first trimester symptoms subsiding, thank goodness!)

#2 ·
My pregnancies were different from each other and I have a girl and a boy. If there's any truth to the old wives' tale, this one will be a boy. We weren't using the Shettles method (we had no preference either way) but the timing worked out as if we were trying for a girl. The same thing happened when I was pregnant with DD, and she is (duh!) a girl, so I'm totally confused as to what this one might be!

#3 ·
It DOES mean something. It means that your body is a little different than it was, you are 4 years older, your life is a little different, and this pregnancy is different, just as your baby will be completely different from your first baby, and your labor will likely be different. It's just different.

My pregnancy with DS was completely different from my pregnancy with DD, and my current pregnancy is completely different from each of those pregnancies. There's no chance this baby is a different sex than BOTH of my previous children, lol. And actually, this current pregnancy is more different from either of the previous two in terms of symptoms than they were from each other. Does that make sense?

#4 ·
my pregnancy with DS was much different than with DD. I was full of energy and was never sick, ate everything (pancakes!) With DD#1, I was sick, I had no appetite. With dd#2, I never threw up, but didn't have an appetite, and was so freaking tired I could hardly stay awake!!! Of course I was probably extra tired b/c during that time I was watching my under 1 nephew, and I had just moved to a new house. And I was VERY uncomfortable and I had such siatic nerve pain I went to a chiro. I had that a little with DS, but not at all with DD#1. The only thing that was the same with both girls pregnancies was the sickness.

#5 ·
ALL of my pregnancies were completely different, and I have 3 boys and 1 girl.

I just KNEW with my daughter that she was a girl, though. It had nothing to do with how I felt, or how sick I was (or rather, wasn't). It was just a feeling I had.

#6 ·
Ha--I'll let you know in December! Well, probably July, actually, since we're having a level II ultrasound then.

But my first two pregnancies were remarkably similar. This one has been completely different. I've been so much sicker than I was with the first two and for longer. I felt sick with the first two, but by 12 weeks I was feeling so much better. This time at 12 weeks, I still feel horrible. But, of course, that may just be that I'm 4 years older, have two other children running around...who knows.

#7 ·
It is a wives tale that it would be a different sex, but it is the truth that you will have two completely different children (same sex or not). I wish it was true we already have a beatufil little girl and my husband (not me) really wants a boy this time, plus we are getting greif from family about it being a boy. This pregnancy is opposite from my last so I am hoping, but know I have no hand in it and it will be what he/she is supposed to be.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieMama View Post

ALL of my pregnancies were completely different, and I have 3 boys and 1 girl.

I just KNEW with my daughter that she was a girl, though. It had nothing to do with how I felt, or how sick I was (or rather, wasn't). It was just a feeling I had.
Yeah, I knew DS was a boy from the first twinge of nausea. I knew DD was a girl. DS knew DD was a girl. He would not even discuss the possibility of her being a brother instead of a sister, because he just was certain she was a girl. I "knew" my two losses were a girl and then a boy. I'm unsure about this one. My son has always said we will have four kids, boy, girl, boy, girl. I mean, right after I had DD, he started telling people that mommy has two more babies in her tummy, a brother and then a sister. DH thinks this is a boy. But I keep calling this one She without realizing it. We'll see, I guess.

#9 ·
I was totally going to post something about this as I got on here..... I have 2 girls. My first I was moderately morning sick, as in, usually barfed every morning but stopped was able to eat after that. It stopped, probably about 20 weeks. With my second, I was always randomly barfing, so much so, that my DD (was 2 at the time) would stand over the toilet and make barfing sounds (nice, eh?) and it never stopped, I was barfing the day I was in labor with her. With this one, I have been ill feeling and tired, but haven't vomited once, or even gagged. So weird. I did just have my gallbladder out the month before my BFP and looking back, I might have been having gallstone symptoms with my 2nd DD. So, who knows.....

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtar View Post

It DOES mean something. It means that your body is a little different than it was, you are 4 years older, your life is a little different, and this pregnancy is different, just as your baby will be completely different from your first baby, and your labor will likely be different. It's just different.

My pregnancy with DS was completely different from my pregnancy with DD, and my current pregnancy is completely different from each of those pregnancies. There's no chance this baby is a different sex than BOTH of my previous children, lol. And actually, this current pregnancy is more different from either of the previous two in terms of symptoms than they were from each other. Does that make sense?
This!!!! Is exactly my pregnancy. Especially that this pregnancy is more different than my first two were also!

In fact, I've actually said to someone that I'm glad there isn't a THIRD gender, because if there was --- I would be SO SURE that I'm pregnant with neither a boy or a girl. lol

#13 ·
All my pregnancies have been different, and I have (so far) two girls and one boy.

#14 ·
I've had three children and am carrying my fourth. The first three pregnancies were exactly the same in experience - the first two were girls and the last one was a boy. This is the first pregnancy with nausea and m/s and exhaustion. If the wives tale were true for me there would have been a difference with the third pregnancy since that one was my first boy. I haven't found out what gender this LO is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.