or Connect

Posts by LeighB

Quote: Originally Posted by crunchy_mama We could make it a while like that but if any emergency happened we would be up poop creek as they say: Groceries - $200 bare bones- I am sure we would feel like crap though w/ that quality of food- We have to keep a GF/DF diet Actually we are GF/DF too, and we spend about 100-150 a month on food. It is hard and we do a lot of beans and rice dishes, but I manage to get fresh vegetables and fruit...
Quote: Originally Posted by Leta Where do you want to focus first? Because that makes a big difference. For example, if you want to move to all cloth, that's going to involve laying out money initially, though it will pay back pretty quickly. Food- I can help there, but I'd need some more specifics of your situation (prices, do you get WIC, do you WOH, etc.). For things I need, I check all of our thrift stores first (we have 8), then the...
I'm so sorry! We have been in that situation and are currently in it for the second time this year. It is hard, stressful and really sucks. You should be able to put your student loans into deferment (or whatever it's called). Contact WIC, and go ahead and get the paper work filled out for assistance. Cancel things that are not necessities- cable, netflix, etc. Also, even though you don't need it, find out where you can get emergency help just in case it were to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife ah, I see. well then, no. I really can't imagine. wouldn't a family making that little qualify for assistance, then? But you are right, if you add in all that, maybe even including child care subsidy if needed, it's a lot more than $14K a year. Do people do this w/o any type of help, besides maybe living with family or friends? eta: maybe I should read through each reply Currently we live with...
I'm glad you can get that dental work done! My Dh needs to get some done too. We go in for our food stamps appointment on Thursday. We really need to get approved! I made a bunch of jam yesterday, all free from a generous person on freecycle. Great feeling! Take care everyone!!
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl No, not the way we live now. In my fantasy where we live cooperatively in a yurt with a few other families on shared land -- well, maybe I could do it then, but now. That's my fantasy too!
We make $1000 a month, basically. So yes it is doable. I'm hoping to get food stamps next week togive us some breathing room. Ou rent is cheapish-650, and we don't have cable or a high priced Internet. We also don't have car payments or insurance.
Quote: Originally Posted by FoxintheSnow Wow you have to tell me how you eat on $100 a month! Lots of soups/stew and chili. Lots of beans and rice dishes. I cook everything from scratch and we don't buy snacky type food or processed stuff. I also try to shop every two weeks because ppl tend to spend more if they go grocery shopping a lot. I do a lot of meal planning and write down each item I need to buy with the estimated price next to it. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Krystal323 I went to visit her last night, and we were talking about the declining state of my DH's health, how I'm worried about him, and how it's frustrating to not know if he can handle keeping a job once he finally finds one. Our financial stress is really second to stress about DH's health, yk? She asked me, "If you had truly realized the extend of his health problems, would you have went ahead with this marriage?" ...
Quote: Originally Posted by FoxintheSnow Groceries Eating Out Kid's Activities Fun Purchases (Crafts, toys, seasonal, etc) Cleaning Supplies Clothing We are a very low income and frugal family of three- Groceries- $100 Eating Out- $0. We can't afford to go out, so there is no budget for it. Kid's Activities- $10. This includes clothing for Dd, if I want to get her a toy, etc. Fun Purchases- None, I guess. I have an ETC envelope...