or Connect

Posts by mrforbes

My son just started this and his OT is starting it very slowly since he doesn't like it right off the bat. He wears the pack and headphones and swings in OT at the same time. He wears it for a few minutes right now. There are special cds and maybe you could try different one or just start listening for a few minutes at first and building up.
HI, Our DS is 3 was diagnosed with PDD-NOS a couple of months ago and will be in starting at an autism day treatment class soon and my question is regarding digestion and sensory issues....DS gets probiotics and has a very limited diet because he has severe allergies, we give him omegas, probiotics and a multi vitamin but his digestion seems so out of whack! And he hates being changed, doesn't acknowledge very well he needs to be changed and protests the entire time....
Thanks so much! IDS has def. been in situations where he can't read that the people do not want him there and yet he tries harder to play with them! It's so hard esp. when they are seriously been inappropiate or down right hurtful physically and emotionally (he misses the hurtful part on both aspects somehow) I feel like his DX will change so I like the idea of just saying autism spectrum. If they remove Asperger's from the spectrum in the new DSMV how are they going to...
We're going to be doing occupational therapy, speech therapy, a rehab play group focusing on speech or ot stuff or an inclusive preschool for a couple hours 3x a week plus some parent thing where we work on what we can do for at home stuff. It was recommended that we do some feeding therapy but we're waiting on - it's agreed his sensory issues are sort of the root of that issue and I just would rather focus on the sensory stuff in other ways than food since we have to...
Hi, our DS just got diagnosed with PDD-NOS. I have a couple of questions. First, when they were doing the evals they stopped scoring the standardized tests because they felt the quality of his evaluation was stronger/higher than his scores would have been. I guess in my understanding it seems they give the PDD-NOS when kids are younger but it often just becomes an autism diagnosis when they are older AND at the same time PDD-NOS is an autism spectrum disorder so it...
Hi there, We're new here but our DS (3) is now on a waitlist for a dual evaluation of speech and autism. The wait for an evaluation is now 4-6 months, but she hinted that were some scheduling shuffles in Sept. and we might not have to wait the whole 4-6 months but no promises of course.   How do you wait and keep a balance? DH is already trying to 'coach' DS and I can tell that's going to drive me crazy!   Also, since DS is 3 so this sort of a general question....
I have no idea how to potty train! How do I potty train my DS who is almost 3?   We have CD, we do lots of diaper free time and have potties around, which he has sat on (and been rewarded for) he's big for his age so we're running out of diaper options. He doesn't seem bothered when he pees - he did it sitting at the table in his chair and it didn't phase him, or he'll just pause and pee and then continue. The other day he went diaper free all day and held his pee...
Hi My 8 wk old has a cold and is really congested - nursing is kind of difficult and frustrating for him. He keeps popping on and off because he's so congested. Is this going to affect my supply? I've had a lot of nursing problems w/DS1 and a bumpy start w/this little guy + his bottom jaw isnt equal with his top and our LC said that makes him work harder because it's not as efficient and to watch my supply because it could dip.   Also, I should know this since he's...
Thanks so much! These are great resources and I can't wait to check them out.
Have you tried Marcy Tardio? I had a HB w/ her in August'08 in Brooklyn, I feel like she is often 'on' the months others take vacations. You prob. won't have to travel for appts. there are so many great HB midwives in NYC and the burroughs. Kristen I think will be back then as well, and there is Stacey Rees I just had a HB her last month and she's fabulous. I've also heard good things about Linda.