or Connect

Posts by NocturnalMama

Have you looked into a raw food diet for your kitty? When I was asking this EXACT question six months ago - someone mentioned raw food and it totally spoke to my sensibilities! We do a combo of raw, and I'm crunched for time - so while not "ideal" we do buy preground/formed raw patties from the pet store and I'll try to give them chicken or beef when I have trimmings from our food or giblets from a chicken I'm roasting... We also feed a dry kibble that is grain...
Would getting a second cat be feasable? I say this because we have kittens about the same age and they do this type of thing to each other all the time - they often ambush each other and engage in pretty rowdy play. I think its pretty normal kitten behaviour - your cat may just see your children as eager playmates?
We like "Feline Fresh" or "Yesterday's News" for litter.... both non clay types. The Feline Fresh is clumping, it contains odour VERY well, its flushable/compostable, and lasts a super long time - in Canada we have to buy it at a specialty pet store but I have heard you can find it at Target in the US? Just wanted to mention the rule of thumb for litter boxes is 1 per cat plus 1. Usually, elimnating outside of the box is related to stress/anxiety (if you have ruled...
My parents have a dog run that they've converted to a cat run... its like this (but with only one door on the side) http://dogrunkennels.com/ They put some 2X4 frames on the top and attached chicken wire to make a roof and inside they have a few perches, some branches and a litter box and some shade. Its wonderful, and their cat loves it. They did have a few escapes and had to ensure all the large gaps were filled in, but now the cat knows to just stay inside. ...
I have heard, and did use this method with sucess, that if you lightly rub your kitties bum with a warm damp cloth it will encourage her to use the litter box. I only had to do this a few times, and I'd rub lightly until kitty started scratching in the litter and would almost always go pee or poo. They both use the litter without fail now, a week and a half later. Apparently this is what mama does to the kitties... so just replicating nature a bit. I know, its a bit...
Hi there - new to the MDC Pets forum! I've been scouring the forums for a few days now... we've just gotten two new kittens, they are 7 weeks old. Adorable! Anyhow, they are eating raw - I'm just wondering how many times a day I should feed them. The first couple of days I've fed them about 4-5 times. I'm thinking 4 should suffice... thoughts?? Second - they are reluctant to use their litter box - I noticed one had pooped on the floor. I had it down a hallway,...
Thanks Aimee - this is great advice. I feel like I need to rush - which would likely be counter productive. Wow, yes - it is about building the excitment. She got lots of that culturally and from us leading up to entering school.... so it would stand to reason that she needs the same stuff for Homeschool. I think I will start building a Homeschool Library - perhaps taking this year or at least until Christmas to prepare MYSELF wouldnt be a bad idea anyway. Cool. ...
thanks Kathy! I wish I had gotten on the ball BEFORE enrolling her in grade 1 because now I feel stuck. Your sentiments echo mine so closely so I really appreciate you sharing. Petra - half days are not an option unfortunately or I'd be all over that!! Its all or nothing around here. Thanks for the ideas! This is great!
but we have decided (after much soul searching and research) to homeschool our children. How should we make the transition? I'm a lurker coming out of the woodworks here to ask this question in the hopes that some of you would have some ideas, suggestions, thoughts, experiences to share. My daughter is in Grade 1. She loves school, the content, her teacher - everything. When we discuss homeschooling, she is clearly anxious about it. I do not want to take her...
Thanks for the tips... We are in Canada so we dont have whole foods, but I'll ask my LFS about the Natural Red food dye! I found this recipe online and sent it to her - I hope it doesnt end up tasting like dirt... I imagine it will be sweet because beet juice is fairly sweet! http://www.thehealers.org/food/redvelvet.html