or Connect

Posts by kchara

I have 3 "early childhood" kids (2, 4, and 4), a K, a 4th, and a 6th grader.  I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate these great rhythms and such without seeming too "babyish" to my big kids, too.  I saw one idea on Pinterest, where they simply changed the candle they used at mealtimes, and had placemats and napkins and such to go with the color of the day.  Since the dining room/kitchen area is so often the heart of the home, it seems like that might be a simple...
Have you looked at the D'Aulaire's books?  They have one on Greek Myths, and one on Norse Myths, I believe.  They're available on Amazon, or I find them in my used book store every once in a while.  My kids went through the Greek Myths one so much, they very literally wore it out.  I had even tried to reinforce the cover with contact paper to make it last--no go.  They really love them.  And they're the real myths, but I don't recall anything I had to worry about with...
I'd look at Christopherus, or Oak Meadow.  Christopherus is definitely more Waldorf, OM is Waldorf-inspired, but, from what I understand, has more academics in the early years than pure Waldorf does. 
I cannot possibly be the only one, but I've posted on a couple of local homeschooling groups, and no hits.  I'd love to get together with some other Waldorf or Waldorf-inspired homeschoolers (no need to be a purist, I'm sure not!), for things like festivals.  The nearest school is clear down in Nashville, and I'm not even sure their festivals are open to the public.  This will be our first year with Waldorf, and I think the kids would really benefit from a more community...
Thank you so much!  We looked at Christopherus last year, and I liked it a lot but the cost kept us away.  I've got 4 in early learning/Kindergarten, a 4th grader, and a 6th grader.  Oak Meadow my stepmom tried with my sister last year, and she really doesn't recommend it for our kids.  I actually saw Sarah Baldwin's video last night, it was very well done!  I love her videos.   I think we're going to go ahead and go with Waldorf Essentials.  Although I REALLY like...
Is he actually saying the word, "Stop"?  My 2 1/2 year old (and all of my kids, really) is going through a stage similar.  It's his latest "word."  He knows what it means, and he uses it appropriately, in that he means for me to stop whatever I'm doing, but I believe it's more because he's wanting to see the action of "stopping," rather than actually upset or caring about whatever it is that I'm doing.  Does that make any sense?  LOL  He's learning about language, and...
Wee Folk is free for early learning/Kindergarten.  Click on the green "homeschooling" button in her sidebar.   http://weefolkart.com/
I had it posted there, but then figured it belonged on homeschooling, since it wasn't a Waldorf "school" question...  Maybe I should put it back. ;-)  Thanks!
Hello!  We're moving from a classical standpoint to a Waldorf one.  I'm researching the different curricula out there, and I think I've narrowed it down to Waldorf Essentials or Earthschooling.  I have 4 who are early childhood (2, 4, 4, and 6), one who would be in grade 4, and one in grade 6.   Does anyone have any thoughts to compare these two curricula? 
I posted this on the homeschool board, too, but it was suggested I'd get a better reply here... We're moving from a classical standpoint to a Waldorf one.  I'm researching the different curricula out there, and I think I've narrowed it down to Waldorf Essentials or Earthschooling.  I have 4 who are early childhood (2, 4, 4, and 6), one who would be in grade 4, and one in grade 6.   Does anyone have any thoughts to compare these two curricula?