or Connect

Posts by PenelopeJune

jaam, that's what I'm doing. Going to school is my only option, so I'm doing it, starting this fall. I figure I'll make everything work as I go.   How did you find the cleaning job? That's what I'd like to do. I think that would work out the best for me. Did you have any (paid) experience at cleaning?
University of Kansas, mamayogibear. It's a scholarship, but I have no idea how easy/hard it is get. It was through the university's daycare.
Hi LitMom! Welcome!   I hauled all my bags to Goodwill, finally. When I put them in the trunk, they filled the entire thing! Now I have room so I can fill more bags.
This is what I'm planning to do, starting next fall.   I have received $20,000 in financial aid, about half of which is in loans. (Yikes. I'm very nervous about this.) I am hoping to get into family housing, although I still won't know for another month or so. If I do, I will have a 2 bedroom apartment for myself and my kids for $472 a month, which includes utilities. I'll probably have to get on food stamps to be able to live.   My kids will be 5 and 7 when I...
NewMom, I have no degree yet! I graduated high school in 2001 and never went to college. I am starting from scratch. I'm planning to get my bachelor's in speech-language-hearing, and then go on to get my master's in speech pathology. It's a huge long undertaking, I'll be in school for at least six years. (Almost as long as my first-born has been alive!) But I am seperating from my husband and need to be able to support myself and the kids. In the short term, financial...
Oh thank you all! The update is that my husband is okay with me and the kids moving away. We have decided to seperate for now, and re-evaluate later. By that time, the kids will be settled in their new school and in our new house, so whatever happens later, the initial move will have happened with his approval and permission. So I think I'm good to go!
New Mom, I have totally considered blogging my experience. I looked and looked to see if I could find anyone else who had already blogged it, but there is no one. I do think it would be helpful to people! Thanks for the encouragement.   Most of the financial aid I'm getting is loans, which is not very fun. If we wanted to be engineers we'd be in the clear! Lots of financial aid for that.   I hope you find something that works for you! Good luck with your...
NewMom, I'm assuming you have a bachelors, what is it in? Unless it is medically related (or communications, should you decide on speech pathology) I'm guessing that you will have to take at least a year of pre-reqs before you can get into the master's program. Is this something you would be able and willing to do? I suck at Florida geography, so you'll have to check to see if any of these locations work for you.     You'll want to look at this...
No problem, NewMom! I'm glad to help, really, since I am just starting this journey, too. It's so overwhelming!   I will do a little digging tonight when I get home from work. :)
Aw, I'm sorry, NewMom. Is there really no other school where you can get this degree? Do you mind saying what state you live in, maybe I can help you look. I know in my state, I can find four colleges/universities to study speech pathology (not sure about OT, I only know of two but haven't checked into it much). I'm in a rural midwestern state. I chose the school that I did for the family housing on campus. There is also an on-campus daycare, and scholarships available,...