or Connect

Posts by PenelopeJune

Did you pay a lot in a deposit? Are you willing to forget getting the deposit back? If so, I'd paint anyway. I'd take before and after pictures, just to prove you didn't damage anything, and I'd paint it.   I have a house about the same size as yours and it's making me crazy, too. It's 600ish square feet, two bed, one bath, and there is one closet in the whole house. I'm losing it. It doesn't matter how clean it is, if a person leaves a pair of socks on the living...
I'm starting to want to sell or trade our car. It is a 2002, and it has well over 200,000 miles on it. (We bought it used in '07.) It's totally paid off, and has been for two years now. It runs fine, but there are a few minor things going wrong, and the high mileage makes me nervous. I really REALLY don't want a payment, but I'm debating whether I should drive it into the ground (which could be at any time, really) or trade it in now while it still has a tiny bit of...
Hi, my name is Penelope and I'm a Zillow addict. Since you are not set on any one state, I thought I'd share my armchair "expertise" on house prices.   I surf for cheap houses and I was AMAZED at the house and land you can get in Maine. Does Maine work for you? Are you willing to go for a fixer upper?   Of course, since I'm from Kansas, I have no idea what Maine is like, nor what the area is like around these homes. I just enter random states into Zillow and see...
    I agree with this, in certain situations. The crappiest, nastiest rental houses in my teensy, crappy town are going for $650 a month. If you were to buy the same place, your mortgage payment (including taxes and insurance) would be well under $350. We looked at a place that would have needed some work, but was perfectly liveable, that would have cost us just under $200 a month in payment, taxes, and insurance.
My boss is the preschool teacher in the public school preschool I work in, and she makes more like $30,000-40,000. Maybe it's because she's also in special ed?   And in any case, right now, I make less than $12,000 a year, so that would certainly be an improvement. Health care would not be a good fit for me, I am sure of that.   Ugh, there has got to be a better way. I am not willing to give up my children's childhood. I'm not willing to give up making cookies or...
Thank you both for your responses.   If I didn't have kids, I would definitely do the 2 year school, then finish at a four year later. But I just cannot move them twice for schooling, and I would have to.   I want to be a preschool teacher. It's what I do right now, basically (I'm a para in a special ed preschool) and I LOVE it, but I don't make nearly enough money to exist on. So it will have to be a 4-5 year schooling. Ugh. I am kicking myself for not going to...
I am deeply miserable in my marriage, for many reasons. I need to leave. We have two children together (4 and 6) and although I work full-time, I don't make anywhere NEAR enough to live on my own. (I do not count on financial help from my husband, as he barely works. His current contributions are pretty much just enough to keep us from being homeless.)   I finally know what I want to be "when I grow up" and I want to go to school. (I only have my high school...
I normally spend between $50-$100 on each kid, and a lot of that is for practical things (clothes and such. They don't often get new clothes.) This year, I will be spending a bit more, because I'm going to get my son a (used) Nintendo DS. My daughter is getting a Leapster 2 that a friend is giving me for free, all I have to do is pay shipping. So the costs won't be equal (obviously my sons is going to cost much more) but neither of the kids are old enough to recognize...
I'm feeling pretty depressed and selfish for the last two days. I had come to the conclusion that the only way I could do it "on my own" was to move in with my mom for awhile so I could save up some money. But she just found out that her breast cancer is back, so that is off the table. I'm a jerk, because now I feel more stuck than ever. I'm furious that my mom is sick again. The cancer had only been gone for less than two years and now it's back and it totally sucks....
I am trying to figure this same thing out. I don't see how it will be possible. I work full time, and make just under $1000 a month. If I cut out ALL non-necessities and cut down on water and electric use, I will have just about $200 a month left for food, gas, and all the other little things that come up. Oh, and I won't be able to heat the house. In Kansas. So...yeah, not possible. I want to be on my own so badly but I have no idea how to make it work!