or Connect

Posts by beaner&tiegs

you guys are awesome, thank you!  We're getting ready to leave in just over a couple of weeks, so I"m really compiling my lists and looking forward to my week there!!!!   Cheers!
Thanks so much, I really appreciate your ideas.....I'll definitely check out the blog!
Hello all!   I'm tagging along with DH to a conference, and have almost a week in San Fran.  So of course, I"m looking for recommendations of things to do - less of the touristy stuff, but more what the locals would do if they could be a tourist in their own city.  And, favourite coffee/tea shops, favourite restaurants, favourite walks, etc.  Thanks so much for any ideas, I have 5 days to just wander and am REALLY looking forward to it!!!!!
I've had an americano or latte throughout all of my pregnancies.  Not necessarily everyday, but that's because I'm not really craving it everyday.  And many times I find I really enjoy the first half and then am not so interested in the second half, so I just listen to my body.  For me, I find the dehydration aspect of drinking coffee the worst, so I just try to be mindful of staying hydrated.......but don't feel one iota of guilt when drinking the coffee:-)  I've been...
Yeah, I have to say, I kind of enjoy going to some of the midwife appointments on my own, and having the whole family at some of the appointments.  It's great to get them involved, hearing the heart beat and measuring the uterus and getting to know the midwives, but it's also nice to be able to really talk without interruptions, about topics that I don't necessarily want to include my older kids in, and also to have a chance to really focus solely on this new baby....
I totally agree with not going into labour thinking it will be horrible!  And also with the idea that we can do anything for a day - it's not going to last forever!  I find labour intense, for sure, and if I start to let myself freak out it can feel a little out of control, but as soon as I bring my focus back it's just what it is and I do what I need to do just to get through that one contraction.  And you know, that huge high after you've done it, you've birthed the...
We've always had our kids at our births.  In fact, when my sister was 8 and I was 10, we were at my brother's birth way back in the day, at a hospital.  Our previous three births have been at home, but I feel pretty strongly about the kids being as much a part of the birth as they want to be, so would have them at the hospital too.  My girls were 3, and then 6.5 and 3.5 at the births, and it was a really positive experience.  We had an adult specified to be there to help...
I also find waking up first thing in the morning and have a hot cup of water with lemon squeezed into it, followed by a walk in the morning keeps me regularly.  I"ll often add belly-dance type movements to loosen everything up, and also sitting on my knees with my heels into my buttocks, straight back, and drinking more hot tea or water helps.  Good luck - constipation sucks, I now try to do everything I can to avoid it.   I'm feeling slightly better these days, I...
I personally wouldn't talk at all about homebirth with unsupportive family members.  Let them assume that you're giving birth in the hospital, and don't tell family members until after the birth, if at all.  My experience is that if someone is against homebirth, it's usually irrational fears and not an intellectual discussion that will sway anyone from their decision.  So I don't engage in it, I don't see a point in it anymore. If a midwife is illegally operating, the...
Wow, I'm amazed that with six kids you find time to sculpt and make pottery, that's awesome!  As for Earthships, we stayed in the ones by Michael Reynolds for a few days in New Mexico and really enjoyed checking them out and talking to many of the workers - we're hoping to create a small office/guest space on the property and we want to maybe make an earthship for that.  They're very cool:-)   Astraia - we thought about goats too, but a) they seem like more work than we...