or Connect

Posts by Jane456

We live in China with our two kids (1.5 and 3.5) and I would definitely argue you should come to Shanghai! We have found living & travelling in China to be extremely kid-friendly. Some suggestions: 1. Try to get them used to Chinese food before you get here. You will save a lot of time searching for appropriate things to eat if you can get them keen on jiaozi (dumplings), baozi (steamed pork buns) miantiao (noodles) and chaofan (fried rice) before you get here. ...
We live in Mainland China, but have only been here a few months so our kids (English-speakers) understand a lot of Chinese but don't speak much of it yet. Our 3.5 yr old son will be starting a part-day Chinese preschool in a couple weeks, his first time ever unaccompanied by a parent in a new environment. Where we live it's 100% Chinese, no one (not teachers, administrators, other students) speak any English. We're meeting the teacher this week and I'm overwhelmed with...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamakah I am not afraid of chicken pox, and would not panic if my child caught it. Having said that, I agree with previous posters that you should have kept kids away from other children after being exposed. When I made the choice not to vax, I also made the promise to society that if my child is sick/exposed that I will do what EVERYONE who is sick or has a sick child should do and "quarantine" them. I don't mean lock them...
Quote: Originally Posted by jeliphish I think it would be very irresponsible of you to not inform other parents that your children may have pox. Just to make it clear - I absolutely wasn't aware our daughter was coming down with the pox until she had about 6 spots already, and as soon as we realised it - we told absolutely everyone who was outside playing that night. We aren't in any way trying to HIDE the fact that we have it, and I've even...
We're far "crunchier" than most of our friends, and delight in telling them about cloth diapers, co-sleeping, etc. But none of them - at all - can believe our decisions to selectively and delay vaccinations... which is really difficult. A lot of them are in the medical profession, and while we've tried to explain our perspectives, they were all horrified that DD was born in our bedroom - so its a tough bridge to cross! We chose NOT to get Chicken Pox vaccine, and...
Hi Carolynn, My daughter was recently born at home in October - in Ottawa. She was my second child, my first was delivered in a hospital, with an OB. I think at the time my first was born, my thoughts were that homebirth WAS unsafe, and that my OB could give me those great drugs I thought I would probably need, or be more knowledgeable if there WAS a problem. But I had a great first delivery, super 'easy' and I expected nothing less the second time around... which is...
My first son nursed to sleep until 22 months when he weaned on his own. It was exhausting, and despite a variety of different sleep strategies, nothing seemed to change him. It was just who he was. My 4-month-old daughter is threatening to follow the same path and I am just so tired of it all. Really, tired of finding a quiet activity for my 2.5 yr old to do for the 30-40 minutes it takes her to really, really fall asleep (after trying 17 times to pull away and her...
Just wanted to give you some support - we are going through the exact same thing - 2.5 yr old son, being very violent and aggressive with everyone else, and a 3.5 m,onth old daughter, who is mostly bearing the brunt of it. I hate that I can't leave the two of them alone together, I am terrified of what he'll do to her. And I hate that I can't trust him - anywhere - to do the right thing. I need to be less than a foot away to catch the toy he throws at a baby's head, or...
This seems to be all the news today... http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/01Januar...kslowered.aspx I can't help but wonder what may be left out of this story - i.e. this seems to focus on the actual injection of an epidural, and calls the mother receiving it the 'patient' - so it seems no analysis was done of what long-term effects it may have on the baby about to be born, etc. Interesting how media grabs stories like this and makes them 'mainstream' knowledge...
Baby's Name: Evelyn Anne Birthdate & Time: October 20 at 1:52am EDD: Oct 10 Weight: 7lbs 11oz Length: 22 inches Labor Lasted How Long: about 1h45min. An hour or so of "hmm... those contractions don't seem to be going away" thoughts, then I woke up DH at 1am to help me, water broke immediately, we started to inflate the birth pool and suddenly I was pushing and could feel her head - barely breathed through 5 or so contractions until the midwives arrived, just in time...