or Connect

Posts by umarider

Yesterday I was at the mall and saw something I think would be easy to make.  It's a small fabric-covered journal with "Christmas Memories" on the front.  It had a loop so it could be hung (from the tree or mantle) and each year the recipient could jot down some special memories from that holiday season.  We have something similar that we did for each of our kids starting with their first Christmas.  Now that they're teenagers they love to read back over the past years...
OMG! I totally forgot about eating boullion cubes!  And I liked to lick out the tomato paste can (had to be paste, not sauce)  And the kids only got Hi-C to drink as our "juice"... parents got real orange juice but it was too expensive for the kids.
Try to start networking for a new job either in your own district or another one if possible.  Where I live, teachers still have time to give their notice about leaving, so things are still up in the air about what jobs will be opening up.  Meanwhile, we offer a program for students called AVID.  The program uses tutors and it's budget in our district is separate from normal school costs.  Tutoring is only a part time job, but if you need $, being either a private tutor...
Everyone who pays into Social Security gets a statement once a year that gives you the projected payout amounts for dependent children, etc.  If you can't find that statement, I'm sure you can request a copy.   I think of insurance this way:   If anything were to happen to DH I would not be myself for some time... I'm sure my normally savvy financial skills would take a backseat to grief,etc.  So we have enough insurance to allow the mortgage to be paid off, pay...
If it were me, I would seriously consider trying to get out of the lease on the duplex.  I know that it's in the area you prefer, but there are too many if's attached to it... if the man at your DH's work is fired, if they actually give your DH the promotion, if you can afford the $1500/mth rent even with the promotion.  If things are tight now, and you suspect they'll continue to be tight if you rent the duplex, even with the promotion, then you are asking for trouble....
I'm really sorry to hear about your dog being sick.    My first suggestion would be to get to the bottom of what is causing this sudden onset of kidney/liver disease.  Is it something the dog is getting into?  Have there been changes in food or surroundings or any major upsets in the household.  Until you figure out the cause, you'll only be treating symptoms.   We've had this situation happen twice.   First dog was a rescue lab mix who had been abused....
Thriftyqueen, I couldn't read your post and not offer my sincere sympathy.  I am glad to hear that you, your family (including cats ) are safe and that you had time to bring most of your possessions out of the house.  Still, you are in a very difficult situation that was not of your making.  I hope that FEMA is able to come through for you and the other residents.  Obviously, you must do what works best for your family.
I started reading this thread because I, too, was a little sickened by the "Extreme Couponing" show.  I didn't expect the thread to digress into an ethical discussion on frugality vs. poverty tourism, but as I continued to read, I felt the need to respond.   Having spent some time as a financial counselor for an aid society, and having gone through my own period of extremely limited finances (going to visit my parents on weekends so I could eat well for a couple days...
I'm doing the "just in case" planning now.  I spoke w/ my kids this morning and told them that if the budget doesn't pass we'll be foregoing any non-essentials because it's the sensible thing to do when there is some question about $ coming in.  I stressed to them that we are okay, but we need to take logical precautions, just like we would if there were a hurricane headed in our direction... not panicking, but minimizing spending.    It's been a great opportunity to...
I'm sure I'm not the only one here whose family will be impacted if there is a shutdown of the federal govt.  The news/realization that it would cause my military husband to receive only half-pay for next payday and no pay if it continues (w/ backpay coming when the budget is finally passed) finally sank in last night and now I can't stop wanting to get my financial "ducks" in a row.   We have enough in savings to cover the mtg, and essential payments for a few...