or Connect

Posts by umarider

Yes, heat does rise, but as it rises up and presumably out of the air leak spaces in the attic, etc., it is replaced by air coming in from a lower source (the basement, leaky windows, etc.)  I know this because I have an uninsulated crawl space suffered from a lot of drafts.  When we had an energy audit and they did a blower door test, it wasn't my windows or my outlets that were the worst culprits... it was the places where things came up through the floor from the...
Read the book "Insulate and Weatherize".  The author's last name is Harley.  It gives a great deal of information on where the problems might be and how to address them.  A home efficiency expert recommended the book to me.    The first place you'd want to start is with sealing all of the air leaks going into your attic/roof area.  Put a "hat" on your house.  Then locate any and all penetration points between your unheated basement and the rest of your house...
The internet can certainly be a tool of empowerment!
Let's hear it for that little voice inside us that tells us that "Yes we can"! My 2000 Camry had really hazy headlights and the repair shop wanted $150 to remove the haze. A little online research and I found the process for removing the haze wasn't too complex, it just required assembling a variety of buffing agents/sandpaper, etc. Then I decided to see if there was a kit for doing the job. Found one for $8.97, brought it home and 20 minutes later I have...
I got a book from the library called "Encyclopedia of Natural Insect and Disease Control". It offers several suggestions for dealing w/ Colorado Potato Beetles. 1. Handpick adults and crush yellow eggs which are found on the underside of the leaves. 2. Tops of wet plants can be dusted w/ wheat bran which, when eaten, causes the beetle to bloat up and rupture. (this suggestion was listed for use w/ potato plants, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for...
Please keep us posted on how things are going for you. I couldn't stop thinking about all the folks in TN whose lives had been drastically changed in such a short period of time. I stop grumbling about early mornings and chores when I think that someone else no-longer having the farm/animals/job to be getting up for.
I'm sorry you're in such a frustrating situation. You don't seem completely sure of where your $ is going each month, so perhaps a month or two of writing down every penny you spend would give you greater insight? Often even just the first week of tracking spending can be a real eye-opener. Make sure DH tracks his spending, also, and then sit down together and see if there are areas that can be reduced. If an amt seems too small to be of consequence, be sure to...
When we lived in SoCal we replaced some windows with windows from "Great Lakes" company. I was really happy w/ them! Where we lived we got coldish temps (31-35) at night in winter and very hot in summer. The windows did a great job! You could put your hand on them and barely feel the cold/heat from outside. In our current house (VA) we have Anderson windows... I don't like them. They're drafty to the point where when I covered one of them w/ plastic you can see...
Hugs. I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a tough time with your house. Our homes are supposed to be our sanctuaries, and when they let us down it can be incredibly frustrating. Personally, I'd start budgeting some money for home repairs. Even if you can't do everything this year, if you give yourself the means to do SOME things, then I think everything will look brighter. What good is having the LOC paid off if the house is falling down around you and you...
We just moved to a 3 acre place and I am trying my hand this year at blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. I ordered my plants the other day from Johnson Nurseries, which is in Georgia. http://www.johnsonnursery.com/ I chose Johnson because it'd been recommended to me to get plants from a nursery as close to my zone/location as possible and from a place that grows it's own stock. When I called Johnsons to place the order, the person I spoke w/ was super...