or Connect

Posts by umarider

First, put a photo of DH in the same section of your wallet as your credit/debit/ATM cards. Make is so you won't be able to touch one of those cards w/out seeing the photo and thinking about the work he is doing to earn the $ and what his feelings would be about the spending. Get an account at one of the military credit unions or through USAA (available only to military). We use Navy Federal Credit Union. They accept members from all branches of the military. One...
I've decided to open a savings account putting in $50/mth to start. When there is enough in there to open a Roth IRA I may make that move, but at this point I'm still weighing what would be the best savings choice. It takes at least $1000 to open the Roth account I was considering, so I'll get a start on building that amount. Thank you all for helping me to see this situation more clearly. It hadn't occurred to me to start an IRA/savings for her, and I think that is...
I continue to invest... stocks and mutual funds are a bargain now and there are some businesses that do well even when other segments are down. I plan to continue keeping a low/minimized debt load. No matter what happens, it's easier to maneuver w/out a load of debt on your back. We are currently living in military housing, but when we move we will be looking to buy a house. I'd love to have an energy-efficient and fairly self-sufficient housing/gardening set up,...
I wish I had some useful advice, but it sounds like you've probably already done everything you can do at this point. I'm really sorry to hear your situation. Hang in there.
If the gc is one issued by the mall (or the company that owns the mall) check to see if they are in any danger of filing bankruptcy. A friend here said that she and all her co-workers get gc for the local malls as an Xmas bonus, but this year they were told to use the gcs soon because the company that owns the malls is in $ trouble.
On a separate thread someone suggested setting aside the money even if you don't know when/how it will be used. That way, if a situation does arise, you will have some resources set aside to help out. It's something you can do while you are trying to piece together your IL's situation. Just start a separate savings acct (still in your name, but earmarked for IL's) and put $ into it when possible.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ironica Maybe you could do something like that? Put the $50 a month into an IRA for her or something. Tell her you know that saving is difficult for her, but you worry about her future and you couldn't do much, but wanted to do something. Send the statements to her so she has a tangible representation of the gift. But it's not something that will be squandered; it can have a real positive impact on her life and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fuamami There are! I think that you have to pay for it, like a percentage maybe? But they will even send the bills for you. It's really a bill-pay service. But I don't know if the OP would be comfortable bringing that up, as it sounds like she doesn't want to be intrusive. Please tell me more about this sort of program. Honestly, it's the sort of thing that sil needs. MIL used to do this for her years ago,...
This month I am trying something a little different... I know myself, I like to have a little cash so I can splurge sometimes, so I've made a deal w/ myself... Each week that I stay under my grocery/household budget I get to reward myself w/ the amount I stayed under or $20 whichever is less. Hopefully this will encourage me to use food more frugally (leftovers get used instead of rotting the fridge, etc.) and at the same time give me a controlled outlet for my...
I'm able to get VISA gift cards through our credit union that are in her name only. So if I decide to go ahead w/ this plan, that is the way I'll go, so her dh cannot access the $ (unless he coerces her, but there's nothing I can do about that)