or Connect

Posts by mandomom

Sweet potatoes! If your budget is really tight you can eat white rice (fairly benign as far as "anti-nutrients" go). You are pregnant. Don't be too strict with yourself. Don't worry about eating too many carbs. Root veggies, bananas... Trust your body, and try to relax about food. Give yourself healthy options as much as possible. Good Luck!  
You can eat pine pollen? That's a new one to me! Black berries, dandelion greens, rarely mushrooms are all I have gathered. I have gathered acorns and made flour years ago. It was fun. Made me feel connected to ancient women :)  
I may not be the best person to answer this (I'm really the only one in my family who is eating primally) but since no one else has... I think you should do whatever you have to to give the GAPS diet a chance to work.  If your dd has food allergies you have to protect her. Maybe offer alternative treats, or try to avoid those situations for a while, if you can.  My dd doesn't have any noticeable allergies, and I try to limit her sweets, wheat etc. mostly at home I try to...
  Maybe frozen fruits and veggies?
I've been eating this way, mostly, for about 5 months, through the last trimester of pregnancy and now breastfeeding a 2 month old.  And I finally experienced being less hungry! (Less than ravenous :))  I was at my sister's house yesterday, and all she had for dinner was lots of great veggies and quinoa.  Normally I would feel like I REALLY needed protein, or hadn't eaten unless there was some meat involved. But I was totally satisfied. It was nice to have that...
My DD is 3.5 years old, and we are thinking about preschool.  I'm not committed to homeschooling later on, and would LOVE it if free public school would meet her needs, but doubt that it will.  (It didn't meet my needs when I was in school.)  My worry is that if she doesn't attend preschool, she won't be able to handle to rigorous routine of kinder- which seems counter productive anyway. (We've had friends tell us if she doesn't go to preschool she won't be able to go to...
My sister was a very healthy/happy vegan- until she got pregnant.  She had morning sickness really bad, and almost immediately started eating dairy and occasionally fish.  I'm proud of her for listening to her body.
My mom used to make us bolsters to keep us from falling out of bed. Take an old sheet, cut in half (so its about as wide as a pillow), and sew 1 end into a tube, just large enough to cram a pillow into. take the trailing end and lay across the bed and tuck in under the mattress on the other side to keep it from falling off. (You may have to sew some of the rest of the sheet on to the "tail" to make it long enough).  I hope that made sense.  Pretty easy if you have a...
I've been *mostly* following it for about 3 weeks, but I think I am ready to really take the plunge, and do the 30 day challenge that is starting on "Marks Daily Apple" on monday. I don't think I'll be quite as strict as the guidelines in the whole 30 program (occasional teaspoon of honey in my tea, can't find dark chocolate without soy lecithin, and I've been into pastured butter lately (tho I can't eat milk, and try to keep cheese at a minimum)).  Your program sounds...
Morally/ethically, I'd like to be vegetarian, but have never lasted longer than a week.  After 4 days or so I felt like I wasn't getting what I needed (I was nursing or pregnant both times I tried the switch). But I do have concerns about animal welfare, and the environment, especially since I've seen the damage that "grass fed" beef does to natural landscapes in the sierra's.  I think there are places where it can be done in harmony with the environment, but its hard to...