or Connect

Posts by Nolamom

Anyone had any trouble with car seats fitting in the plane seats? Im a bit worried, last time we flew DS was in an infant car seat now he has a big one (Eddie Bauer) im kinda scared that it wont fit between the arm rests ! Flew recently with an Eddie Bauer toddler seat and it fit fine - no problems at all!
Dropping off while carrying a newborn is a lot of work. But it was well worth it for dd's sake. She loved preschool! And a few hours with only one child felt like a real break for me. IMO, I'd consider your lo when making the decision. Is your lo looking forward to preschool? Is it a program your lo would enjoy?
Just to put it in perspective, I agree w/ something another mother said here on MDC. In a few years, none of this will matter as much. DD is in kindergarten, and like this mother pointed out on another thread, we have no idea who was BF, who suffered through CIO, etc. Her class has 23 kids who, for the most part, all have loving, involved parents. In a few short years you will be discussing school, homework, friends and whether a baby was bottle fed or not will not even...
I try to tackle it from the front end. On one of those days when I start to notice myself getting easily frustrated, I immediately pack us up and go somewhere. The park for 30 minutes, the store, library, friends house, etc. For some reason getting out of the house sets me back on track.
I have a blind family member, too. She gets alot of her audio from the state library. The titles are sent through the mail and she returns them postage-free. She also got some machine recently that she can download tons of titles onto, but I think it was pretty pricey. Try your state library - they might have a program available. Good luck! ETA: I asked her - the machine is a Victor Reading Stream and she gets downloads free from NLS and pays for some through audible (?)
Ds, 25 mos., loves his trike. He's so proud of himself that he's learned to pedal! But, we also received a plasma car as a gift and it's been a huge hit around here. It gets played with by kids of all ages and can even support an adult! Very cool. Plasma car link: http://www.plasmacar.com/store/customer/index.php
I second empowering your dc to deal with it himself and trying to stay away from intervening. Dd, 5.5, is dealing with a problem with one of her friends - the girl is an on again, off again friend. One day they're friends, the next the girl in question is really mean to dd. I have purchased a book to read w/dd, (American Girl, "Stand up for Yourself & Your Friends"), and we've just started it. It gives the child different techniques to stand up for themselves and others....
Adding #2 was VERY overwhelming for me, and #1 acted out for months in response to getting a new sibling. I'm thinking that some of your frustrations will resolve themselves with time. I know now that ds is 2 and dd is 5 things have gotten, dare I say it, easy. They're playing together now, and I find myself with some actual time to read, or do something else than nonstop parenting! Just know that there is an end to being totally overwhelmed. Also, we have to build extra...
I second the advice to have dh and dd do some things outside the home together. Maybe even run errands, or, plan something special for an afternoon or two. Dd, 5.5, always feels closer to dh after an outing of some type and will want him to read her nightime story, etc. Our dd seems to be past the "rude" phase for now, but has gone through it, directing it at both parents. We talked to her about being kind and polite and said we weren't going to be able to tolerate...
Much to my surprise, dd (now 5.5) wanted hers pierced at 3! Like a pp said, after she heard what it involved, she decided to hold off. She decided at 4 that she really wanted them pierced and I gave in and had her ears pierced at 4. We've never had any problems - but I also take responsibility for caring for them due to her young age. She keeps her earrings in her jewelry box, but i do remind her to clean them and do not expect her to remember on her own. She has one pair...