or Connect

Posts by punkrockmomma

This discussion somehow reminds me of my Women and Words and Feminist Theory class that I had last spring. It was a senior level class with over 20 students in it, and consisted of all women. (I go to an all women's school) What amazed me were the number of womenin my class that just "didn't get it" and thought that the students (and the teacher for that matter) who understood the broader implications of what we discussed, and agreed with them, were a bunch of women...
  I've been battling this since my DD went into daycare, when I went back to school. Unfortunately for her she has a mama who is very feminine in some ways,I love the color pink and I am very feminine in how I dress, but I refuse to wear makeup and I hate many, many things that are stereotypically feminine, and my DD seems to be following in her mother's footsteps, ie being feminine yet being herself (for now anyway). Some of the ways that I have tried to express my...
  Huge radical feminist right here!! I'm so happy I found a bunch of other women who "get it" in regards to the importance of feminism and why patriarchy is even detrimental to men!!   Princesstutu, check out the documentary "The Economics of Happiness" I think you might find it inspiring. I understand what you mean, and have decided that I want to teach philosophy and feminist theory someday, and I want to work, possibly, in family and civil law in the non-profit...
My DD's dad and I just broke up, so I will be a single, full-time student this spring semester. My ex is very involved in DD's life, so I'll be able to depend on him to help me out when I have a lot of homework (we also have 50/50 custody so that will give me time without DD so that I can work and do my home work). Right now I'm planning on living financial aid, child support, working and tutoring at school (which will be 20 hours a week), food stamps, and childcare...
I just bought a Juki serger this fall, after doing a ton of research on them, and it makes beautiful sergered edges and seams, and is a total work horse, but it's completely mechanical with no bells and whistles. Juki is known for their industrial machines, but also makes great quality home sewing machines and sergers. They actually make machines for Bernina. The thing with Juki is that they are very well made, but have no frills. If you're serious about what you want to...
I agree with everyone who said that getting the machine threaded is half the battle, once you get that down all you need to do is to start playing with it to see what it can do. Where did your husband get it? I know that most sewing machine dealers will show people how to use a new sewing machine that was purchased through them. If that's not the case, do you know anyone who sews? My mom sews, and with a little bit of her guidance, and the book Sew Everything Workshop, I...
What kind of machine are you looking for? I just bought a really nice, designed for quilting, sewing machine, for $795, and it came with TONS of extras. It's a Brother Innovis NX-450Q. It's one of Bother's high end models. I know this fall Brother Innovis machines were written up in consumer reports for making the best quality machine for the price. The woman who sold me in my machine was the owner of the sewing machine dealership. She sells Brother Innovis', and Vikings...
I would look at a Brother innovis machine. This is the higher end line of Brother machines, and you can only get them at sewing machine dealers. I sold my Bernina on ebay so I could could get a Brother innovis NX-450Q. It's an amazing machine, with lots of bells and whistles, it's a heavy duty, high quality machine, and it came with LOTS of extras. This machine was recommended to me by the owner of one of my local dealers, who also sells Vikings. She said that the...
Right now I'm taking 16 credits, and I work in my schools library, and I'm a paid tutor and study group monitor; my DP works full time, 1st shift. It's great working in the library I get paid to do my homework, and have some really nice perks working in the library, like unlimited renewals, free copies on the copy machine, and since I'm in a program where I'll be doing a lot of research this job really helps in this area too. The tutoring is a great experience because it's...
Thank you ladies for your stories! This is exactly what I wanted to hear from people. I also love to sew, so I'm going to see if I can't develop that into my plan B. I'm making some cute stuff for my schools Holiday craft fair (winter accessories, tote bags, and scrubs for the nursing students) and I'm making my sister's and possibly a coworkers wedding dresses. So we'll see how these projects go, and if they go well, as I like to put it, I'll try and make this into a...