or Connect

Posts by SkySunSea

Sheeraa,   As the mother of a 13 year old introvert that spends most of her time alone, I understand your concerns.  I am also saddened that my daughter does not have a sibling and I think that in ways our life as a little family of 3 has fostered her introversion. For various other reasons, not the least of which are her "quirkiness" and the fact that we move all-the-time, it t has been difficult for her to make friends throughout her life.  In the past year or so,...
ChristaN, I wish we lived closer too! It's so challenging. Thanks for the ideas on curriculum. There is a EPGY co-op that I am aware of through the DYS discussion boards. I'll have to keep any eye out for it for next term. Let me know how it goes. I am enrolling my dd in the Charter HS tomorrow and will check out some more of the curriculum items then. Hopefully we can meet with her teacher sometime next week. School for us starts after labor day. We'll have to...
I am so sorry you are being put in this position. I am also doing the same thing with my dd, who is also going into 5th grade. By the end of 4th grade, the teacher, just blatantly stated that the school wasn't a good fit for her. But the reason behind it isn't just academics, it's behavioral; which, I think, was actually related to the lack of appropriate academic challenge and true peers. But I couldn't get the school to see past the behavior to the root cause. We...
He sounds adorable! On the flip side of you can't conclusively determine if your toddler is gifted, you can't determine that he isn't either, and, regardless, this is a welcoming group. . You know, there are kids that can start to learn how to spell pretty early..or at least get an idea of words. If you read to him a lot, if he has heard the alphabet songs with the names of the letters AND has been introduced to the sounds..he could very well put all that together for...
This is a great question, and one that I think all of us have asked at one point or another. It's good to get outside views, because when you have an out-of-the norm child, you just don't know what "average" looks like. For me, I never considered my child as gifted before school. I knew she had the potential, her dad and her grandfather are both highly to profoundly gifted. I do know that from the beginning she was very different than other kids. We only had her...
I used to live in Seattle and I have heard nothing but positive things about the gifted program in Bellevue. As a wealthy area, it is well-funded, as are most of the special education programs in Bellevue. I hope it works out well for you! - Sky.
My dd is in a full-time gifted program and it's okay, but I am not sure that it is truly a "gifted" classroom. What they do seems pretty average. So, I think that it depends on the school and program. If you are in Anchorage, I have friends who have kids in the full-time gifted separate school and are very happy with it, but I don't know many details. - Sky
I have used Aleks with my daughter as a supplementary program at home and it's been very helpful in assessing where she really is and allowing her to learn at her own pace. In a nutshell, it's an assessment and learning program that first does a quick assessment of a child's knowledge and then presents math lessons that they have the base knowledge to learn. As the student works through the program, they are given as few or as many questions in each subject area as they...
Just thought I pop in and add myself to the ranks that tell you "Nope, not alone" - and I do think it is related to her intelligence too. My dd, 10, is gifted, has been diagnosed with ADHD, and is also suspected by the school of being an aspie. She is very, very impatient with learning - both for herself and for others. And she is very annoyed and condescending when people say things that aren't perfectly correct. I have to say that dh and I are not helpful in that...
**changed my mind** Edited again to add that I changed my mind because it is related to an often discussed topic that is well covered in other threads.