or Connect

Posts by SkySunSea

"A toddlers nature is in their physical body--they're sole job is to get used to be in their body. Once they are grounded in their body, then their brains are freed up to learn to read and write." This is an opinion, not a fact. And this drives me crazy. The brain is part of their body. They are learning language and movement, all of which is based out of the the brain. I just do not agree at all with this premise of pre-determined developmental stages. Regardless of...
I love The Critical Thinking Co. They have workbooks that my daughter has a great time working through. And they aren't your traditional academic workbooks. www.criticalthinking.com We used their books for our "homeschooling" supplemental stuff.
Karne, Thanks for the clarification. Yep, the above is just based on what very, very limited knowledge I have about the curriculum. So what I wrote above should be read with the emphasis on my qualifiers like "may be possible." Like someone said earlier, I also pretty much disagree with Steiner, which means I disagree with a lot. But just because I don't agree with it, I certainly can't prescribe what may or may not be right for another family. It sure sounds like...
Karen, Have you made a decision yet? I am writing because I am very, good, old friends with the primary person behind the new charter. She is very smart herself and has wonderful, bright kids. I think Waldorf can work for gifted children, but it would depend upon the temperment of the child and the ideals/beliefs of the parents. While they don't do academics at the early ages, they do move fairly quickly and deeply into them in the later years and in ways that...
I love reading about all your kids - the younger ones who are doing all those things I can barely remember now..to those who just blow me away with their talents, interests and abilities. Thanks for sharing My dd, age 10 (Just turned last month-I have been a mom for a decade now - Wow!) has been accepted into the John Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth program for language/humanties and writing. I am very excited as we plan to homeschool again next year and...
Awww..no advice, really. This just made my heart hurt. My dd, 10, still likes us to read to her, sometimes that is. She is also a very fast reader. We read YA novels to dd at age 7 - dragon books (Eragon) and some other SF books. I also read Madeline Engle A Wrinkle In Time series to her as well, things that had some more complex ideas in it that we could discuss. I just got the book Some of My Best Friends Are Books and it is a good one. Perhaps it can provide...
Please check out my post in Learning at School. Thanks! http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1211468
Hey all, I am looking for anyone who has experience with the Sandra Kaplan model for teaching gifted kids (Dr. Sandra Kaplan of USC). I went and visited a school on Wednesday that is a modified homeschool program that uses this model. I think it is very much what will work for my daughter and I want to send her there. They teach with a focus on critical and creative thinking. They actively encourage questioning attitudes and challenge the kids. Unfortunately, we...
Thanks for all your replies. I am concerned about depression, because she has mentioned that too me - she really doesn't like school. She isn't active in any sports outside of school right now, she isn't much of a joiner, but we did just take her for a free scuba experience for her 10th birthday and that was a huge success. I think we may have found her a sport, even if it is a bit "extreme." We are divers also, so this is something we've been looking forward too. She...
So, my daughter doesn't read all night long - she'd love too, I am sure. Instead, she reads at school. All. The. Time. Since dd was identified as potentially having Aspergers Syndrome by the school psychologist, I have been reading the book Misdiagnosis And Dual Diagnoses Of Gifted Children And Adults: Adhd, Bipolar, Ocd, Asperger's, Depression, And Other Disorders by James Webb. It so describes my girl. In talking about differentiating between problematic behavours...