or Connect

Posts by SkySunSea

Whew, I got tired reading....this must be so exhausting for you. I just had one thought I wanted to share (of course, this is a general forum, take or leave it). You mentioned that you aren't very strict parents - you might want to create a more structured environment and schedule for her with very clear expectations and consequences. The way I have experienced it with my daughter is that when she is overwhelmed - whether by choices to be made, transitions, lots of...
I know what you mean. I have a child who is a perfectionist. She did not read until 1st grade as she doesn't like to do something until she has absolutely mastered it. Once she started, she was right into chapter books. I was surprised she wasn't reading earlier, as she was also early verbal, letters, etc. She was just resistant to any reading until she was ready. And she is definitely meets the standard quantitiative measurements for gifted. So, very cool...
Carmel23 - have a good, safe trip and may you love Oregon. It's a beautiful state.
Eclipse, We'll be neighbors - San Bernardino or San Diego. Maybe Temecula area....not quite sure yet. Some of my mom's family and Dh's family lives there - in Lemon Grove/Encanto/LaMesa/ElCajon, etc. We met in SD, although I grew up in Alaska. We are very, very excited to be moving back. Seattle just hasn't really opened up and felt like a place we could truly call home.
This sound like what we need. So far her teachers have not been able to accurately assess her abilities, which is the reason I asked specifically about assessment and placement (thank you thank you!). She is not one to perform-on-demand, and finds so much of the curriculum incredibly boring. Shis is your typical perfectionist child who will not show her abilities unless she is absolutely sure she is correct. They have consistently said she is struggling in math, but...
Eilonwy, you mentioned below that k12 has been good for your child. We are looking into it for our daughter. Can you tell me more about your experiences? From what I have read, they base curriculum on each child's abilities, and that sounds great. Has the program been able to accurately assess Bean? We'd be working through the California virtual academy program. Thanks in advance! And of course, I would welcome anyone else's input as well. Sky
Aww, leave it. If anything comes of it I guess you could take it down - or just make a funny comment. If others are leaving it up why wouldn't you? I guess if you came up with 110 or 120 that would be okay? Where would the cut-off be exactly? We already live in a world where it's hard enough to talk about children with advanced abilities, gifted, talented, or what-have-you. We are all different have have different talents and being smart is one of them. You aren't...
I love the books from critical thinking: www.criticalthinking.com - there are options not just for working on math operations but developing visual-spacial skills as well. DD, also in second grade, really likes them. I am one who is so against homework, but also loathe the fact that we have this long summer break. Hope you find something that your child will like. Michelle
My daughter also has a tough time with empathy - with humans that is. She is very empathetic with animals and concerned about the earth, ecology, and animal welfare. She has had a tendency to be someone lacking in remorse at times as well - I wonderded myself if it was because of an excessive amount of negative guilt feelings that she uses this I don't care attitude as a defense. Then again, I just don't think she connects with other people. She can watch surgeries,...
Thank you for this information. I have looked for good data on the assessment tests before and this is pretty comprehensive. I also have a daughter with exceptionalities..and I always wonder about how those LDs impact the results.