or Connect

Posts by Sparks*

discipline/manners has been the biggest for us I would guess. It mostly comes up when ds is shy around people. I in no way see a reason to force him to say hello or give a hug goodbye, but everyone else seems to make a big deal about it. I actually had a co-worker grab him out of my arms and run the other way with him kicking and screaming! I of course freaked out and was livid. She said, "he never gives me hugs so I just took some." That sounded eerily familiar...
ds (26mo) has been day-time potty trained for a few months now, but still needs a diaper for naps and overnight. He's an extremely heavy wetter. I've tried wool soakers in the past and he soaked right through them even after being lanolized multiple times. I eventually just started using overnight pull-ups which I absolutely hate doing, but don't know what else to do. Hence, my question to you all Should I give cloth a second chance for sleep use? If so, what...
I try to avoid anything that follows social gender stereotypes where all of the females are in caring/nurturing/passive roles, and the males are in agressive/competitive/active roles. That drives me nuts! I've also found a lot of books to be pretty racist in their illustrations of people of color. Over emphasized lips and noses, extremely slanted eyes, etc. For me, the illustrations are just as important, if not more than the actual text. I guess my main goal is...
I just babysat my neighbor's 18mo son and 8yo daughter. Besides the fact that the big sister told me that the best way to comfort her brother is by letting him watch tv and not by holding or rocking him. Besides the fact that they came fully equiped with McDonald's happy meals for dinner with soda...for both of them Besides many many other things What most upset me by a long shot was changing this poor baby's diaper and seeing what I saw. I hadn't seen a...
Quote: Originally Posted by BlessedMommy2006 Just wanted to know that I'm not alone. I'm in Michigan and have an intact baby son, 5 1/2 weeks old, born on February 27th! Congrats! My ds has the same birthday! He's 2yo and intact. We're in Kansas and most of my friends have left their baby's penises alone It seems to be a growing trend, but we still have a LONG ways to go.
I think I may have won her over!! : she just finished reading my email and asked me a couple of questions. "so, are you saying that these are the benefits of being circ'd versus being intact?...that's nothing compared to the benefits of just using a condom....you're right, you shouldn't make a decision on your son in the US based on the actions and [flawed]statistics of men in africa...they're completely unrelated." woo hoo!!! I really don't think she has anything...
hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have emailed her then...I don't know. We've talked about circ before, and I've sent her tons of info on it, and she's been really receptive to it. I think this is just her last thread that she's holding onto, ykwim? It just got brought up because we were talking about how she thought it was horrible to suction a baby out of the birth canal...you know with the vacuum type cup they put on their heads? She said she knew that must hurt them and it's...
thanks mamas!! I'm putting together an email for her, and I've included your awesome analysis jwhispers. I was trying to talk to her, but she got all flustered. Hopefully this will spark up the conversation again and thanks to the mom who just emailed me the pdf of the mothering article! you guys rock!!
can I get the mothering's recent article "circumcision does not prevent AIDS" online? I'm guessing probably not because of copyright issues, but I really want to have my friend read that article, and I don't have my copy on me She's saying that she would circ her son, if she ever had one, because it prevents AIDS. : I told her that that is not the case, and that the best prevention against std's is condoms. Are there any other good articles out there that may help me...
I've had mine for about the same time as you have, and I've only gotten it checked once...during my yearly pap/female wellness check. I guess the main thing is that the strings are accessible and don't get twisted up too high so the device can't be pulled out when you want, if that makes any sense.