or Connect

Posts by OliveJewel

My oldest used to cry whenever he played with transformers so we blocked those from our house for a number of years.  I can't block legos, nor would I want to.  But when he cries while playing it can upset other people in the house when he is howling or screaming and if the 2yo or anyone approaches him he lashes out.  I don't accept the lashing out, so I want him to stay calm when he is playing and not escalate to that level.  So if he starts to cry while playing I tell...
Found this which is truly helpful.  Must not take her out without treats!        http://www.whenhoundsfly.com/on-leash-aggression-towards-dogs/
I got into a horrible situation with my dog tonight and it was all my fault!  I was walking down my street with my 5yo ds and my 1yo rescued cattle dog/ pit bull mix.  It was the perfect storm.  Our street doesn't have sidewalks, so when we pass another dog there is no barrier and the dogs are curious to sniff each other.     I am so ashamed that I didn't hold onto my dog.  We saw a man with a dog who I thought was a dog she always played with, and the dogs seemed...
I see myself as an open-minded peaceful parent who prefers to talk rather than use discipline.  I would probably consider myself a permissive parent: I allow my kids to watch tv and play computer games when they like, for the most part, after dinner it is my husband's turn to watch tv, and we try to be in bed by eight pm.  my kids attend a school that practices progressive education, so they have no homework and their school work is mostly self directed. that said,...
Just got shamed at the grocery store for my son opening some bulk bin lids even though he didn't touch the food within!  I didn't know that children are considered so dirty as to not touch *anything*!  I was next to him, reminding him not to touch anything and going as quick as I could to scoop my sugar, which is why I didn't hear the older gentleman calling to me as he stared from his position in line.  I looked up to see a scowling face asking me "don't I think that is...
yesterday there was a pile-up---baby, M (4), puppy dog, cat, and me---all of us just sitting calmly, smiling inside---and M broke the silence with, "I really feel that you love me, Mom."  As my heart poured forth with love I realized that I have never had that experience with N (7).   I have had the opposite---N has been telling me "i-hate-you" and every combination of swear word since a long long time.  when i was first pg with A and so so so sick i was talking on...
I think if you really give up anger people will try to convince you that you are crazy and you might try to convince *yourself* that you are crazy---but how can it be wrong?  just one emotional option of many!  i choose to react with singing and tickling and quiet and shhhh and hands resting gently on the loved one in anger---i am not *choosing* their anger!  ---   they are choosing their own anger!  how painful!
my kids hit and yell too, and i don't think it will let up for a while... my husband still yells and gets offended by the kids (even though he feels bad afterward and is trying to stop)---i am holding on strong to the idea that anger toward the family is not useful!!!
realizing that i am strong and capable enough to make myself present *every* time my 7yo strikes his brother or the 4yo is screaming because he wants to take something.  i show up.  i am strong enough to physically be with them and wrestle/snuggle--carry them around like apes---sing... realizing that people find it offensive if you *don't* yell at your kids!   people=my husband when he gets angry about "he-can't-talk-to-me-that-way!" realizing that the...
i am changing my perception of pain---there is a continuum---when my oldest was a baby i was offended at almost any "aggressive" act on his part---esp once he reached about 18 months---that's when the spanking really got going it will never hurt me when my baby or small kids hit me because i am STRONG!  i think people forgot how strong they really are.  when my baby bites me i tickle her because she is asking in the only way she knows for my COMPLETE EMOTIONAL AND...