or Connect

Posts by OTMomma

I have 3 kids, and 3 sets of unit blocks that were about 45 blocks each (I think), plus a few add ons.  I think barclayblocks.com has a calculator for how many blocks they think you need to have per child and per age.  I have ones that were by Melissa and Doug- so they came in a little wooden crate thing- I have found that I can put the blocks back in the crates, and then slide them under a bed, or into a corner, storing them isn't a problem.  I LOVE blocks- so we...
This fall I worked with another mom in my area to start our own co-op, and the preschool class is mostly play, and the kindergarten class has a lesson, but also has free play time.  I needed a co-op that worked for me, I have 3 kids at 3 different ages, and I wanted a group I could afford and we could all attend.  So I helped create it.  That said- when I only had a 5 year old and a baby, I found a couple of homeschool friends and set up a very simple co-op, which was...
I love using our iPad for educational apps- and most of the time I can just type into the search feature in the Appstore what I am looking for, and find something.  We just got done reorganizing our iPad to divide the apps into folders by subject.  I only regret that I have downloaded too many free ones that cluttered up our pad.
During my daughter's life, I have changed my official faith/religion at least 3 times that I can count, the most recent being only a few weeks ago, each time it also involved moving to a new area and trying to figure out what worked in the new area.  Interestingly, my real values never changed, just how I practiced and what we did about it.     When dd was small, I chose to quit attending a church where she liked the Sunday school program- she was upset.  Eventually...
Just this week, I started reading a book about the beliefs of Wiccans- and it would agree with the points you share.  I am reading "The Idoiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft" or something like that.  I highly recommend checking out that book (because it is an easy read and gets to the point of what you want to know, unlike a lot of Wiccan books that seem to start with an assumption you know certain things already).    Good luck on your path!
It is possible to have one breast letdown harder than the other, especially if it is engorged.  In that case, expressing/pumping before nursing that side, may help.  I would nurse the baby on the right on a nursing pillow and use the breastpump on the other breast while he eats- that will allow for an easier let down.  You can then freeze that milk to have as emergency milk for later.  And after the breast is softer, you can again try nursing the left.  I would also try...
Due to our first testing experience, I raelized that my dd (4th grade)  had some LD issues in Math- she scored perfect on her "Math concepts" and Very poorly on  the actual doing the problems section.  So, after doing some  research about math LD on line, I realized that the visual perceptual issues that give her problems with writing, are causing her problems in math too.  Over the years, I have tried many different math programs- none of them worked for my...
I just had my 4th grader do state standardized testing for the first time (we live in a different state now that requires it), and just got our scores.  I watched dd take the test and read the questions afterwards to know what was what with it (I gave the CAT).   My dd did great on some subjects and really really poorly on others.   Her scores when all averaged together meet our state standards, so at least I am OK with the state, but it was eye opening.  I realized...
We started out unschooling kindergarten, but found it just didn't work for our family. My dd felt that unschooling meant I was a slave to her educational needs, and I had to be willing to put that ahead of my own needs..... It was destructive for us. I also realized that I did have educational goals for my kids that I was not willing to let go of. So my version of eclectic homeschooling has actually very gradually moved from unschooling to a more classical education...
I do actually have a lot of musical instruments, and some do a dot markers and play dough.... And just ordered a bird identification book for our new home. I need to get some stuff to catch bugs, I guess. . We are planting a family garden, and I have a lot of good science experiment books from dd, but I need to remember to get them out. I might decide on an art easle for this year, but I am an art wimp because it always turns into such a mess.