or Connect

Posts by want2bmoms

Re-Christmas. We are, as a rule, VERY non-religious. If anything, we lean toward Buddhist. But both of us grew up with Christmas and therefore celebrate is a time for family and bonding and food you never eat and seeing people who you never see (...and sometimes feel like that's too much, but they ARE family and family sticks together...). One year, Christmas.just.sucked. Mom lost her house, we fought, the car broke down, brother relapsed... you get the idea,...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamarhu http://www.fasaware.co.uk/education_...cteristics.pdf This is a symptom comparison chart that covers many of the common symptoms of kids with histories of trauma. And now we are crying because I forgot to mention... she also has a dx of....... wait for it..... wait for it....... Fetal Alcohol Syndrom
Quote: Originally Posted by Ahappymel His dad was a real jerk about the whole thing. He made the fact that the boy has Down's THE issue. What can I say. He's my ex for a reason.... I did ask my son what HIS experience was and he said he liked the class but he wished that the teacher wasn't always having to ask the boy to stop drumming, to please listen, to stop hitting people with drumsticks over and over. He didn't mention any discomfort about being...
oops, double post
Quote: Originally Posted by KCMichigan I dont have any info on RAD, but have you considered a special education eval? yes, we have and she tested at above the 7th percentile (mind you, this was only because they asked and we *told* them that she could count, identify numbers, etc. during the eval, she tested at like 3% or something... , we shouldn't have said anything!!!!) so she doesn't qualfy... or so they say. We have her medical caseoworker,...
Quote: Originally Posted by pumpkingirl71 I hope I am not being rude or pushy, but have you considered another med? I just know what it is like to live with a dangerously impulsive child and how much all of our lives have improved since finding a good med for her. I know that medication isn't a cure all, and to be really honest we are considering trying a change to a new med/no meds at all. But what we are weighing is how hard this might be on her. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by pumpkingirl71 Wow, that is really interesting to me. My daughter's ADHD medication gets in the way of sleeping. It looks like she came to you on a huge level of medication and you aren't sure it it was the correct choice for her. But I guess I just wanted to make the point that impulsivity/adhd is a vicious cycle. It may be deep rooted issues with attachment that is causeing the problem, but in my daughter's case, she is...
Quote: Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie Heh... I wish I knew certain definitive traits you could point to and say, "Oh, that's RAD, not bipolar..." With these diagnoses, its really hard sometimes. Add ODD and Intermittant Explosive Disorder to the considerations, and boy, its hard to figure things out. I really think one of the best ways is to educate the parent as to the potential diagnoses, explain the primary symptoms of each, and then let...
Quote: Originally Posted by DocsNemesis Holy poop thats a high dose of Tenex! My ds is 9.5 and is on 1mg a day. If its making her sleep that much, then yeah, definitely not a good thing! Thank you that's what we said. Quote: Originally Posted by DocsNemesis With her getting angry and starting all of that, does it just occur out of the blue or is it usually a reaction to something-say, getting told no or getting in trouble...
Quote: Originally Posted by Diane B We have been through milder versions of some of the behavior you describe with our daughter (much milder) but even that was incredibly emotionally taxing and draining. It must be very difficult for you. A couple of things come to mind. First of all, you MUST get more therapeutic help and support. Play therapy once a week is not even close to enough. You need support for a consistent, structured parenting approach...