or Connect

Posts by sarafi

It's not a sustainable approach, nor it is a healthy one IMO. Do your best in each stage your kids and you are in. That is the definition of good and "fair" parenting.My parents were flat out broke when I was a child. We had nothing, and got toys from the toy drive. Baby Sister 3 was a "surprise!!" baby when I was 23--at the time their youngest was 17, and during those 20 years my parents actually had built a good and steady income. Baby sister is raking in the "things"...
DH and his parents have a pretty cold relationship. They chat when I call and put DH on the phone, they send gifts for us and the kids, they visit, but it all feels very superficial.   SIL really seemed to try to have a relationship with DH, and later with us, while she was married and her children were small. After the divorce, she has been distant and cold. We have family visits once a year or so, and she avoids us for hours and then bails after an hour or so. MIL...
Every time I can hear the new phones actually ring, I am reminded of the great deal! Can't wait for next years market
I sooooo hear you, and I am sure my mother did as well. Only one child of mine has a "lovey" and it is for sure a pain. My mother "forgot" my lovey at a play date when I was two, and I am still irked about it (just about the fact that she really did throw away something that I clearly loved) and I remember being mad and hurt about why we couldn't just go and get it for years later--we lived in the same town.    Anyway, I know it was a hard slog. Now your kiddo can grow up...
Gosh I haven't posted or read in a while! I remember where a lot of you ladies where six months ago, and am impressed with the progress :-)   We made it through BS2 a month or so ago (my computer died and I didn't have a back-up of Quicken so it's all a bit fuzzy).   My only financial goal for 2013 is to have 2 months saved in an E-fund and have enough to buy a Roth for me this year.   As of today, was have 16% of our two month E-fund and 0% for my Roth. And...
Holy Cow did I just score at the flea market:   $19 bought me:   3 cordless 220V phones ($150 at least in stores) and they all had AA rechargeable batteries inside $10 Small Bag-less Vacuum 220V also, which works and was sorely needed as our other vacuum doesn't have a wand and we have stairs and couches to clean on a regular basis $5 3 sled for next winter (market price $15) I got them for $2 A super cute and sturdy outside baby swing for $2--I was...
After three kids, with the knowledge that I had used "normal" bras for years when the nursing bras where in the wash I finally caved and didn't buy new nursing bras. Yes, you will stretch them out by pulling them down to nurse. You will still likely get a year of use out of them, and the $$$ I've spent on nursing bras that have had parts break made me not worry about it.   Baby #4 has just weaned, and I don't regret the bra choices I made.   I say, wear what make...
So with the demands, at that age and for a while longer I help them parrot how I wished they had asked for something. It puts us both in a better place, even if it takes the kid a bit to ask nicely. And it gives me a chance to finish what I was doing when the decided it was a 911 that I retied their shoes, while I was changing a baby. This will be a long process, and I honestly still don't always ask for things nicely as an adult.   Perhaps there is too much going on...
My eldest way just talking about how much she misses our yard in Japan! It was basically the size of a very large balcony, and yet she has fond memories of playing outside our house. We live there from 1.5 to 7 for her, and it was just normal for her. Kids can  have different expectations--the entire time we lived there I wished for a lawn for the kids to run around, turns out they liked the small lot full of pea gravel
So glad the crisis was adverted.   Thinking more long term, you spend twice as much on car payments as food and 2/3 as much on rent on car payments per month. I think your car payments are what is holding you back. Any way to sell one, or both for something cheaper?   If this happens again, my choice would be: rent, food, power/water/ the car/gas that gets the wage earner to work...and then everything else.   Your siggy states that you are military. So in honesty, you...