or Connect

Posts by christinelin

I have a kiddo on the spectrum and worked as a parent education teacher in a parent-participation preschool. I did a professional development day for my colleagues about recognizing potential developmental issues and discussing them with parents.This is pretty-ASD specific, but certainly generalizable.   We focused on discussing what is typically expected at a given stage and what we are seeing in the child. One great example I remember was a simple art project for a...
Just to give a counter response: I have always been really glad that we had my kiddo evaluated. It did cost a lot (out of pocket), but in our case it provided a single, clear-cut diagnosis that made sense (Aspergers) and allowed us to provide the most targeted help for him. It also eliminated the voices in my head that were constantly wondering what was going on. ("See, he's just gifted. No, that looks like anxiety. Now that, that looks like a kid on the spectrum." It...
A couple of thoughts:   It would be fairly difficult to tell with a high-functioning kid if they have ASD at 1. Things I would be looking for: joint referencing (pointing and then looking for your response), normal language development (using single words, adding more with time), typical development of play skills (using items symbolically for pretend play). But my ASD kid had all those things at 1. His deficits weren't apparent until 4, when peer play became too...
My DS had an IQ test as part of a full private evaluation at age 5. His score on that test was completely average. I was much more stunned and upset about that than I was about his diagnosis with Asperger Syndrome (which I fully expected). It wasn't that I wasn't okay with him having an average IQ, but it just seemed so off from my experience of him. I felt like I was told that I didn't get my child.   He has since had two more IQ tests (one at 7 and one at 8) as a...
I agree that it would be helpful to have more details.   In my case that point when I was having conversations in my head about what was normal and what was not was the sign that I should add into the mix someone with the professional credentials to actually make that call. Never regretted having an evaluation done. I, too, was uncertain about the label, but once we went through the whole process, I embraced the label (in our case, Asperger Syndrome) because it...
Two children's books that I thought were decent were "Understanding Sam and Asperger Syndrome" and "The Red Beast: Controlling Anger in Children with Asperger's Syndrome." One challenge is that no book really describes a given child because ASD manifests so differently in different kids. We would sometimes talk about how DS was the same and different than the characters in the books.   I think I overshared for a while and now I am much more cautious -- my son is also...
Just chiming in with another anecdote about early IQ tests often being inaccurate. My DS (also gifted + Aspergers) had a completely average IQ on his initial eval at 5. That threw me much more than the ASD because it just seemed wrong, so off from my experience of him and from what others observed. In two subsequent IQ tests (both for participation in research studies -- I don't put him through them for kicks!) at ages 7 and 8 1/2, he was solidly in the gifted range. I,...
I flew alone overseas at 15. My oldest is 12 and I think she could do it, but I would prefer that she was a bit older first. All three of mine have flown unaccompanied domestically (flights between 1 and 6 hours) and have done great. They started at 7, 7, and 5 respectively.  
156 months (three kids), 42 of those months were tandem. Yikes.  
Thanks for the feedback. I, too, am tempted to not worrying about it. Nice to have others back up that instinct!