or Connect

Posts by hollyvangogh

I didn't say the Priesthood was secret (though there a certainly priesthood ordinances you will never find on the church's website). I just said that if anyone has questions about the sorts of things current members won't and can't talk about they can PM me. 
I never said anything about encouraging people to be angry. I just pointed out that it's an all-too-common reality, and not without reason and that those reactions shouldn't be written off. Nobody sets out to leave the church and wants to be angry. But once you do and things come to light you never knew and people treat you a certain way it's not unreasonable to have to face some negative emotions. I have been in many different shoes regarding relationships with the...
*deleted*
I love his book, Raising Freethinkers. FANTASTIC read!
rush2ady, it can be hard to put yourself in the shoes of those who have left. But there is good reason people have anger as a result. It is not without reason. Most move on after working through those emotions of deception, betrayal and disappointment. But it takes time. My husband spent 2 years of his life being bullied and working his ass off only to discover he was teaching things that simply weren't true, but he was teaching what he was taught. That made him very...
Why did I leave? Because I admitted to myself that it wasn't real and after that there is no reason so make the sacrifices to stay.   How did family handle it? My family was thrilled (I was a convert). My mother went through a lot of grief when I got sucked in during my teen years (the family that converted me were great at "lying for the lord" but I didn't see them for what they really were until I left). My in-laws were pissed, and our relationship continues...
Priesthood holders are allowed to be church leaders, pass the sacrament, give blessings, etc. If it's an important ordinance in the gospel (baptism, sealings/weddings, etc.), a man does it. Wikipedia has a whole page on Latter-day Saints Priesthood. Generally Wikipedia gets their LDS info mostly right.   You can PM me with other questions. I'm a former mormon so I have no qualms talking about the "sacred/secret" stuff that mormons are under oath not to discuss.
We account for tuition and such on our yearly budget.
Spouse will either be a medical student and pretty much on campus all hours in class or studying or will be a science student and working when not in class. There won't really be time for him to trade off with me. But I am trying to look into taking on a child for babysitting. It looks like a class I took at university might qualify me for my level one childcare certification, and I'll need to renew my first aid/CPR, and get a police check. I've been thinking about that...
  Not yet, but we're planning on renting a home together with my brother-in-law (we're very close, he lives in the apartment next door and eats most dinners with us already, DD adores him). I've seen houses for rent that would house the four of us well without either him or us paying more in rent, just more in utilities. It's too early to rent what we find now b/c we can't afford two rents at the same time, but hopefully there will continue to be places available that...