or Connect

Posts by LuckyMommaToo

DS finished the HP series during the summer after first grade, so I know where you're coming from. Percy Jackson is his second love after HP, so definitely try that (plus he's now an expert on Greek mythology!). Others to look into: -- the Septimus Heap series -- Spiderwick Chronicles -- Dragonrider (not a series though) -- The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy -- Dan Gutman and Gordon Korman have a lot of great books for that age. (Gutman's "million...
My DS at age 8 STILL hates crafts and coloring. At age 4 I discovered that he loved mazes and dot-to-dots, but only if he could do them with markers. Those helped immensely. As did the Leapster (it has a stylus which requires good fine motor). At age 8 he has really nice handwriting. -e
I am so sorry to hear about your mom, Velochic.   I had to work pretty hard to find a couple reliable sitters. I have not had success with high school students. They're too busy or don't want to, at least where I live. Mine have been college or recent graduates. I literally mentioned to every one I saw regularly what I was looking for. My first lead came through DD's ballet teacher. One of the receptionists at the ballet school wanted to make some extra money, and...
  We've never had leaking problems. Probably the "wettest" things I pack in the regular box are fresh pineapple and melon. DS isn't much of a sauce kid, but when I have packed sauces/yogurt in one of the Dipper containers, there's no leaking then, either. It closes up pretty tight.   DS is rough on his stuff, and while we have had to replace the outer zip-up carrier, we've been using the metal box for a year and a half, and I foresee getting at least three years total out...
What about using a PlanetBox? DS is in his second year of using one, and I LOVE not having to use baggies. I also wonder about making up a list of all things you're willing to pack and letting him choose some for the week (or before you go shopping). What about a banana-chocolate chip mini muffin? Or Pirate's Booty? I like the PP's idea of popcorn, too. I occasionally buy Annie's Organic fruit gummies and it totally makes DS's week.   We attend public school and...
When is he going to bed and waking up? Audio books are our lifesaver. DS will listen to them for a long time, and has learned (after FIVE years of listening to them every single night) when he needs what he calls "a boring story." (Which is a story he's heard so many times that it's not really interesting anymore, as opposed to, say Harry Potter.)   Our library has a great selection. I might also look into kids relaxation/meditation CDs.   Good luck! -e
DS is 8 and gets $8/week. But of that, $3 goes to savings (this is for a car someday or another similarly big purchase), $1 toward charity, and $4 to him. I use the KiddyBank app on my iphone. When his savings account hits around $25 I transfer "real" money into his actual savings account. Once a year he decides where to send his charity money (so far he's stuck with the Cheetah Conservation Fund).   He uses most of his spending money on itunes (songs and apps) and...
It depends on how many kids she wants to invite. Are you saying you absolutely can't do it in your house? Is there a local rec center? We have quite a few inexpensive rental options through our city's Parks & Rec.   We did a really cute tea party for my DD's 5th bday that wasn't expensive. You can scout thrift stores for fancy tea cups -- then those are the favors as well. Lots of finger food (I cut PB&J sandwiches with cookie cutters, among other things) and some...
We took our two last spring, when DD was almost five and DS was seven. I would wait until the twins are at least five. Even if you're not paying admission, everything else is still really expensive, and your twins are soooo young. It will be a ton of work for you, too. It will still be magical for your DD in a couple years!
My DS is in second grade at a public school. There's quite a large group of boys and girls in his grade who are WAY into Harry Potter. Many of them are working their way through the books. Boys like Legos, Star Wars, video games and sports. A lot of girls in his class are interested in fairies and fairy houses. Also crafty things like making friendship bracelets. I see cootie catchers around, too!   My DS and his friend saw Hugo over the break and LOVED it. He didn't...