or Connect

Posts by loraxc

Oh, planning meals is a GREAT one! I'm not sure she will be interested in the phone, but I'll ask. Unfortunately, she has only one friend in walking distance. I have considered letting her go over there solo but our neighborhood is a bit of a throughway for homeless people due to its location. Think slightly edgy urban area, even though where we live is not actually urban, really. (Small city, very close to downtown.) This is a continuing dilemma for me, since I'd like to...
What if the teacher stacked their papers or had them line up by race? "White kids over, black kids over there." Would it seem as benign? As efficient?There was actually a study that came up quite recently about this very issue, OP.http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/208217.php
Yes, we do sometimes take her solo to movies DS is too young for. I keep meaning to do a big-kid movie night at home with her and forgetting. I'm not sure what privileges she would want that would be reasonable. I feel like I've asked her and her suggestions were not realistic.
DD frequently complains that we expect more of her in various ways than we do of her 4yo brother. Naturally, we respond that this is appropriate given the age difference, etc., and that she has other privileges that he doesn't because she is older. However...there aren't that many of them, to be honest. She stays up later (but...not that much later...she has to get up early for school) and she is allowed to stay home alone briefly and to scooter up and down the street...
My 4yo will not read any fiction (or have it read to him) at present. Not only that, he won't read anything that isn't about the ocean, pretty much. And this is a kid who does NOT seem ASD in any way (well, except this!--but really, I have no concerns). Admittedly, he enjoyed fiction for many years as a toddler and this is a recent switch, but it's not concerning to me at the moment. I guess I would give it time. And I do agree that it's a boy thing--my DH read almost all...
Thanks, everyone. It sounds like this probably isn't an extremely high expectation but that it might be reasonable to cut back on it/make it easier in some way. I do want her to contribute more around the house, and am looking for more tasks she can do that are "regular" (she's willing to help with random tasks, but I like her to have assigned jobs that are hers...this one was a flop!)
If I help, she sings and dawdles and takes forever to hang up one shirt and I end up doing most of it. I think maybe she feels overwhelmed by the big messy pile that has to be sorted--that's sort of what she says, but I may have led her to say that, so I don't know. Again, this is the only chore that she says is too hard. ??
I gave my 8yo the job of putting away her laundry a few months ago. This entails hanging up her shirts, sorting and pairing socks, folding pants and shorts, and putting it all away in the right spot. I am not uptight about everything being well folded or anything and she knows where the stuff goes, but I expect her to do it all by herself. On average she needs to do it about once a week. This chore has been a MAJOR battlefield for us. I am so tired of fighting over it....
We recently came across a copy of New Moon and DD8 LOVED it.
Update: DS did indeed have a UTI (caused by E. coli). The ped (not my usual one) continued to lecture me about "hygiene." However, on further research, I learned that a recent course of abx can upset the intestinal flora to make it likely that E coli will overgrow and be more like to cause a UTI. DS was indeed on abx for suspected pneumonia a couple of weeks before this happened (only his second time ever, and then of course that resulted in another course for the...