or Connect

Posts by loraxc

Feeling at my wits' end with my 8yo and 4 yo, who are going through a super intense phase of rivalry/antagonism. They are not generally physical with each other (the 4yo will flail vaguely in the 8yo's direction) but they scream and argue all day long. I have a large age gap with my own sibs and feel unprepared to handle this. I have read Siblings Without Rivalry and Mom, Jason's Breathing on Me and I use the technique of separating them, not trying to figure out who was...
I have to say, unless you've had a child immobilized by a break for 10 weeks, as we did when DD broke a leg bone on a tramp, you don't know what an enormous pain in the butt it is for everyone. DD even lost friends at school because she had to sit on the sidelines on recess. No PE--she had to sit in the library. It was pretty hard on her. Had it been at a different time of year, we would have had to cancel our vacation. She also fractured her growth plate, which can lead...
Well, he is much better after a few doeses of abx (or maybe it was just a matter of time). It is not roseola, which I also thought of--no rash after the fever broke. I do notice that his penis (I have been asking him to retract to whatever point is comfy--which is not very far--so we can put on the cream) is slightly less red...but not a LOT less red. He says it no longer hurts. It will be interesting to get the results of the urine culture. My sense is that he probably...
DS is 4 and uncirced and has never had any issues with his penis before. Yesterday he started running a high fever (104) and seeming quite ill--did not want to eat, mostly slept. Motrin improved him dramatically, but once it wore off, the fever went back up. Then he complained several times that his penis hurt, and he refused to eat and still seemed very sick, so thinking UTI, I brought him in. I had to see a ped I do not know to get an urgent care appt. His urine was...
Yes, our report cards are similarly noninofrmational. DD has been getting the same canned comments for three years now. I also have never been given a reading level. She was given some kind of test that gave a probability of "reading success" and got a 99%. Oh, and spelling was 99th% and all the comprehension questions were correct. That's all I know.
DD8 is really enjoying Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke. Should be fine for a kid who has read HP. She also likes the Warriors books.
They also have this! That could help if she gets tired, maybe, and looks better than a stroller, probably? I would be concerned about kids making fun of a 7yo in a stroller unless her SN are pretty visible. http://www.kickboardusa.com/scoot-n-pull
Here is the 3-wheeler for older kids. My 3yo has the mini-Kick and we LOVE it. http://www.kickboardusa.com/maxi
Get her a scooter! They are much easier to learn than a bike, and they also make 3-wheel ones for older kids if balancing is a challenge at all. The great thing about scooters is that you can control your speed much more than you can with a bike, and there is much less chance of falling. My 3yo scooters to daycare (about a 10-min walk) and my 8yo sometimes but not always walks home from her bus stop, which is about 20 min away on foot (weird, I know). FWIW, her stop is...
In my experience, yes, there is some correlation. What is she reading in her free time? Does your school have a GT program and did the teacher suggest testing her? Tell us about her otherwise.Are you sure about that? Have you been tested? Reading adult-level novels by 8 is pretty advanced. My DD is gifted and a very strong reader and she's not reading adult fiction.FIW, she was a strong reader by mid-5 and entered K reading probably around a 4th grade level, though I don't...