or Connect

Posts by loraxc

Thanks, KC--that is quite reassuring to me, actually. This makes sense: "The conculsion is that DD uses so much energy moving about that she tires out quickly when compensating for the hypotonia." Maybe it is just sort of a side effect. DH and I both were so traumautized by all the concern about him when he was an infant that I still worry there is something...awful...that we might be missing. I have considered food or environmental allergies, but the science on testing...
DS3 (almost 4) created quite a bit of concern in his doctor when he was a baby. He was failure to thrive, partly due to tongue tie and low supply but partly for unknown reasons, and quite floppy and hypotonic. He had an MRI, nerve conduction testing, and blood testing to measure CPK. All were normal. He was in EI physical therapy from about 4 months-12 months, when he was discharged because he had made huge progress and appeared generally on track. He retained head lag for...
I know of three broken bones from trampolines in my relatively small local circle of friends. I don't see them as safe.
I had two distractable kids who did not like nursing all that much at times. I also had low supply and they had problematic palates and tongues--are you SURE about his palate and tongue being normal? Get someone who is REALLY good to check. Anyway, one of my babies was skinny but okay, and the other ended up being failure to thrive. (He is now 3 and 85th% for height and weight!) We faced many difficulties. I will say that things got easier when he was old enough to take...
DD is doing these "enrichment math" worksheets in school--they vary somewhat in difficulty, but she finds them a challenge. Plus, you can print them for free. However, they only go up to 5th grade so may be too easy. They are more along the lines of brainteasers and logic problems a lot of the time. http://www.sbac.edu/~chiles/media/mediasunmath.htm
I don't like them or expect them and I don't do them. I have done parties where the kids each make a craft, but that's all. The same kids come to our parties year after year, so they seem to be holding up through the tragedy.
None of them have the slightest idea that this has crossed my mind. Never fear. I am sorry that it sounded insensitive. I honestly didn't know. I have seen somewhat similar behaviors come home with my kids and persist for long periods. My older daughter started up with baby talk again after starting daycare and it was months and months before it went away.
The other kids are actually 5 through 8, so they are not other 3yos. I want to make it clear that I am very fond of these kids, but I genuinely cannot understand them a fair bit of the time. Also, I have known them all since birth and one has seemed to get much worse with this in the past year, which I am confused by. I know the question may seem a bit ignorant. I just wondered if it could ever be "picked up" in the same way that kids pick up baby talk and potty talk...
My 3yo recently spent a lot of time with several children who all have the same speech impediment (can't say R or L sounds). I noticed when we got home that he is now sometimes saying the sounds incorrectly. He has always said them correctly before. Should I be concerned or does an impediment only happen when a childs actually cannot say the sound? Can a habit like this develop when the sound was previously correct? I know kids mimic, obviously. I did correct him. One...
Didn't realize this was still going! Yes, DD has started at a new school and I have heard nothing about any of this since this summer, except for being asked about ear piercing again. I think it had a lot to do with hanging out with preteens and teens in her summer group. Her current class seems pretty unsophisticated and also has many kids whoe parents are immigrants, which I think can change the dynamic.Actually, no, not at all. I virtually never point any of this out...