or Connect

Posts by loraxc

Ha--MY 7yo recently informed me that she now knew how to not fight with her brother anymore because she'd read Siblings Without Rivalry! (And yes, it's in the bathroom on the back of the toilet.) So far this does not yet seem to be true, alas! I also read my parents' parenting books. I think it's okay. That said, DD is only allowed to visit websites I've approved. Our kids sound rather similar.
I remember this happening with my daughter, too, when she was a newish reader. I knew the books were not memorized--they were too long--but having them read to her, even once, seemed to give her memory cues or something and she was more competent. These were long picture books. If your daughter is like mine, she's probably going to move ahead quickly with her skills.
I agree that wanting to be done with it isn't a great reason, for sure. Fortunately, my DD has a wide range of interests and her need for freedom and opportunities can be met in various ways. It takes some thinking, though. The really tricky thing is that as of now, she wants to do things that are not really age-level with kids who ARE her age. We hope her new school placement will help.
Great discussion here. My DD is one of those kids who's always wanted to be older than she is. It has nothing to do with wanting to be sophisticated in the sense of "cool"--she wants the freedoms and opportunities, and is very impatient to be done with the restrictions of being a child. She's very independent as well, and was asking to go to sleepaway camp at 6. However, she is also very playful and imaginative and is very much her age ina lot of ways. I have struggled...
DD is 7 and tends to complain a lot while doing chores. Her chores are very reasonable for her age, believe me. Now, she DOES the chores, but she whines and moans and drags her feet while doing them. Do you ignore this kind of behavior or do something about it? My tendency is to ignore her as long as they get done, but then, DD is the type who could easily do this with a teacher or other authority figure. In fact, I've seen her do it, and believe me, it has put people off...
We had to pay for all our own textbooks (yup, at a public school--charter, though) so I wonder if they just did not buy the separate enrichment text.
There WERE bonus problems on the homework/seatwork sometimes, but I don't think that's what you mean, or is it? She never had extra whole sheets--it was like oen or two extra things at the borrom (she always did them). I did think the program looked like it was pretty cool in some ways--nice materials, fun games, not as rote-- but it just didn't work for her. She could easily have done 2 years of the curriculum in 1st, IMO, and again, I don't think she is really intenselt...
My older child may be slightly 2e, but if so, the exceptionality is mild ASD or ADHD, not an LD. My younger child is only 3, but probably gifted, too, and I'll eat my hat if he's 2E. He's socially very adept, emotionally seems very on-track, and everything seems to just be developing together. He doesn't have nearly the same asynchronous feel as DD, though he is probably a year-2 years ahead on academic milestones.
I didn't know Everyday Math had challenge problems...we never saw any, but maybe DD got some. Honestly, I just came back to this thread to specifically tell you to keep an eye on the math. DD tested MG, and she is not a math prodigy, but boy, that program was just making her nuts. They completed the grade 1 book by year's end, so they were going at the prescribed pace (but the whole class did math together). If your kids can do 41 plus 11, they are not going to get a lot...
Actually, the vast majority of children report that their parents set no limits on screen time. I could dig up this reference for you if I had the time, but I recently read a big long academic article about this.Also, the average kid between 7 and 18 spends 7 hours per day on screen time. This does include simultaneous screen use (counts it "twice").So...it's a lot. I'm not opposed to this in a blanket sense, but I do also feel a bit cringey when I see it. We were on...