or Connect

Posts by loraxc

I do want to thank those of you who have posted kind and helpful responses.Yeah, I agree.I want to say that I posted partly just to open a conversation about something that I think is probably a fairly common concern for MDC parents. Some of these things are just not going to change (no Twinkies in her lunch) but others are under consideration. I do think of this as a place where having strongly held values is par for the course and I'm surprised at the undercurrent here....
Never mind. Edited this post after I decided not to feed the troll. Post history can tell you a lot.
minightwriter, my youngest is 3. The 7yo is certainly a lot more likely to listen to reason, but the 3yo, notsomuch! Another thing for more permissive, free-flow parents to keep in mind is that some kids are very black and white thinkers, and some kids are die-hard pushers of boundaries, and it may be more necessary to make these blanket rules in these cases. DD often does better with clear rules than with "It's okay today, but not tomorrow" guidelines, as I have learned...
Meh. The thread is sort of going in an "you're doing it wrong" direction. I'm not really interested in hearing why I need to pack junk in her lunch or buy her more stuff. What I was looking for mainly were some ways to give her currency that would also be in line with the values we promote as parents.
I'm on the strict side in our peer group and honestly it's hard sometimes. In particular, many of my friends let their kids break explicit rules in nature area--stay on the trail, don't wade in the creek, etc. It's not that I am opposed to creek wading, but if the sign says not to do it, I am going to assume there's a reason (probably to do with conservation--a big family value of ours) and not allow it. If the other kids we 're with are allowed to do it, it puts me in a...
To clarify a little--this doesn't seem to be a huge deal with DD yet, but it is on her radar. I have heard her complain about bedtimes, about ear piercing/nail polish (I have issues with girls being sexualized too soon, which is why I don't like polish, but I guess silly colors on her toes will work for me), about her lunch not being cool and so nobody wants to trade with her, and about not having an electronic device/iPod. None of these things seem to cause her major...
Henna tattoo!! That is a GREAT idea and I am totally up for it. I don't know how/where you get one, though. Gonna look into that.We do do some cool outdoor stuff as a family--we camp, fish, boat, kayak, etc--but I'm not sure how much currency this gives with the kind of kids I am thinking of. I do host playdates and slumber parties--maybe not as much as I could.Right--I will wait and see about a lot of this. But I'm noticing we're getting out of step even with our friends...
Pets--she does have a pet fish, but that's not thrilling, really, although she was super psyched to get it. We also have a snake. Fostering is a neat idea, but we have a cat who hates other cats and we don't really do dogs. However, she loves animals, and this is a good one to think about. We have been considering getting chickens. I also am wondering if we could cool-ify our back yard some more. Honestly, it is kinda cool already--she has her own garden, a tree fort, a...
snilingsara--Yes, I was thinking some kind of spa day type of thing as well...well, or just letting her paint her fingernails, which I have also resisted. After some thought I am okay with that.Love the freezer paper thing. We have fabric markers and I do let her draw on her jeans with them (wait, I AM fun!), but alas, she can't wear those to school. She is very artsy and artistic and has a unique sense of style.Love your energy and ideas. It's funny you mention this. I...
Thanks for the book rec, HopefullyMama! smilingsara, I LOVE those suggestions. Man, I am so much less fun than I used to be. Old and tired, I guess. I do sometimes try to do secret things with her that DS is too young for, or sorta too young for. Like, we woke her up late at night to watch fireworks and left him in bed. I keep meaning to do a big-kid movienight. I want to let her stay up as late as she wants on her birthday, too. Catscradle, it isn't so much that she...