or Connect

Posts by loraxc

Quote: I think gifted kids tend to overcomplicate something, but it's not always food--it might be clothes, imaginative play, etc. This is such a good observation! DD is totally an overcomplicater, though I feel like the focus of it shifts around (recently it's been clothes). Worth pondering.
Quote: . I am very uncoordinated, never learned to ride a bike sat in W pose most of my childhood b/c other positions were not confortable and have a few hypermobile joints. This is probably a reassuring sign, I think. I am similar myself. I think sometimes there is just a family tendency here that appears to be benign. My father also has some issues, my brother was always physically behind, and I have hypermobile joints.
My DS was borderline FTT and quite hypotonic as a young baby. He could not even sit supported (in a Bumbo) at 7 months. We went through a whole battery of tests and potential diagnoses, and he was in EI for about 5 months. At around 11 months everything somehow magically started to come together. He crawled at 11 months, walked at 13 months, and was discharged from EI. He now is virtually indistinguishable from his peers, although he is still insanely flexible and STILL...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tigeresse Hmmmm. Interesting thread. I can't say honestly that either side was in the wrong here at all. There are valid points going both ways. If I was the mom to the toddler, I would have redirected her. I would not have confronted the 5yo unless he was downright mean, which it doesn't sound like he was. However, if I was mom to the 5yo, I would have said something to him about the toys being for everyone and perhaps...
DD is obsessed with math. DH gave her a button that says "I Love Math" for Christmas and she put it on immediately. I wish I had a better sense of how to teach math, but for now we are just randomly enriching at home. She's always improving her drawing. I'm starting to see her working with perspective, and she's doing a lot of shading in of backgrounds, which is time-intensive hard work. Her reading continues to improve..not sure where she is now, but I rarely hear her...
My DD also loved the Catwings series. I think the D'Aulaire books, which I adored as a kid, would be too scary for her (she'll be 6 this month).
Oh man...that's cool, but she totally doesn't know capitals/landmarks at all. She does know countries to some extent.
I showed this site to DD today, and she really loved it. We have spent a lot of time talking about helping others lately, and for her the bowl of rice is a really exciting motivator. However, they don't seem to have all that many vocab words at the lower levels and the math option isn't quite right for her either (she gets too many low-level ones right and then we're suddenly into reducing fractions or whatever--stuff she isn't ready for). Is there another site out there...
Yeah, there's no way I could teach her how to calculate 8 to the 7th power herself at this point. She is bright, but we aren't there yet! Quote: In my experience calculators are wonderful avenues for exploring patterns in mathematics This is what I was thinking--she can sit there and fiddle with it and see the patterns. She's good at this already, and very interested in it. It's funny, but we don't actually have a calculator here. My old...
I noticed a lot of people disparaging calculator use in the math thread. This is timely for me, since I have been considering getting my almost 6yo a calculator. She is very interested in math at the moment and is always asking me questions ("What's 8 to the 7th power?"--this morning) that I do not know the answer to and need to sit down to calculate. She seems to have a very good innate math sense and is also a born autodidact (we joke that she would be better off...