or Connect

Posts by fullofhope08

We're not overly careful about sun exposure I guess...we don't generally use sun screen for any of us. We are thankfully all blessed with skin that tans well, rarely burns, so we're probably slacker than we should be. Our ds was also born in May. We tried to be conscious of staying in the shade with him, used hats when I wore him. I did make sure to have a rash guard for him when we brought him in the water. We spent a lot of time outside that summer. I don't feel our son...
Sassyfirechick, I wonder if your grandparents were from my area originally. Our french is far from Parisian french, we live pretty rurally and it would definitely have been backwoods and isolated in your grandparents time, and so many families moved to the US, particularly New England, in that era for work. Interesting, although sad for you that little of the french was passed down. I think that was pretty common back then - assimilation into the dominant culture was...
I've been giving this a lot of thought lately and it's so interesting how approaches can vary so greatly. It's nice to hear how you all decided to approach the situation with your kids, and good to know how kids deal with how languages are handled in your homes. Eclipsepearl, your comments about the distinction between understanding and speaking a language rang true for me. I see this so often in our community and its my fear for my children. I had hoped it would just come...
So good to find discussions about this! I've been worrying about this too with our 2.5 year old ds. I speak French to him, my dh speaks English mostly, but some French. Ds hears French and English from his grandparents, depending on which household he's in ( they are his caregivers when we are at work) so he probably hears 50% French and 50% English in the run of a week. He seemed to use both languages equally up until 3-4 months ago when he's reverted mostly English. He...
thanks for your response PJ. We do live in a predominantly french area and his schooling will be in french. But english is the language of our society - tv, when we leave our small village. and everyone speaks english, not everyone speaks french. So I think english becomes cool, french not so much - it's an interesting dynamic in our culture as we speak a dialect of french that is only found in our province - so there is a message absorbed that our french is sub-parr...
hi all, We have a bilingual household with my mother tongue being french and my dh speaking english. My dh has some arabic in his vocabulary as well from his cultural background that we are trying to keep alive. My ds is 2.5 and has heard both frencha nd elgish since birth. I only speak to him in french, regardless of who's in the room. My dh speaks some french but mostly english to him. He hears french and english at his grandparents homes, depending on which ...
we have a 2.5 year old. We don't leave the tv on and the only time he watches tv is with videos, not just cable channels. The main viewing he does inour home is maybe 45 minutes or so in the mornings of youtube videos on our iPad as we get ready for work. We monitor it relatively closely and his preferred shows vary. He is cared for by both sets of grandparents when we are at work. I'm not totally sure how much tv he watches with them...maybe an hour or a bit more...
just an update and a continued plea for stories from others who have been are are going through similar experiences. The spotting continues. And just when I think it seems to be settling down, I get another fresh bleed. Sat on the toilet this morning and a little gush of blood was there. I don't feel I can run to see teh Doctor every few days when this happens, and really, it's not like I've got huge gushes of blood or cramping so I'm guessing baby is fine. But it's been...
thanks for the response. I find this whole issue of eating gluten to be quite interesting as in reality, I'm not a big carb eater and didn't have to change my diet a whole lot. So I'm surprised at its effect on my body. I originally started with a gluten-free diet not because of digestive issues, but in the hope gluten was affecting my hormone levels and they would improve without gluten in my diet. It ended up not helping, but it was suggested I wait until the pregnancy...
Hi all, I'm a little over 13 weeks pregnant. My first pregnancy was absolutely perfect so my experience this time is a bit of a shock. I had a pretty significant bleed at 8 weeks. Had an ultrasound that showed one little baby with a heartbeat and a second sac with no baby - blighted ovum. So it was decided the bleeding was likely from the ovum and the Ob told me to expect more bleeding as she could see a clot in my cervix. I had a bit more bleeding about 2 weeks later,...