or Connect

Posts by insahmniak

Well I did some exploring and found a long list of suggested questions.  Yay!  I'll post it here in case anyone in interested.  
We're considering moving from home school to waldorf.  Daughter would be gr 4.    I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what questions to ask.  We're not totally set on Waldorf.  In fact we have reservations.  I think experiences with Waldorf seem to be across the board, with some very strong proponents and some that feel burned.  I think in part it has to do with personality and dynamics of the varying independent schools.  So what to look for or ask about...
Sources for fractionals? We're looking to move from 1/8 to 1/4 - wow. It seems like a huge jump in size! And if the tone is not very pleasing, well, you have all that much more of it. So I feel like we need to tread carefully. Currently we have a rental from a long-distance shop - Summerhays in UT. Up to this point we've been fairly pleased with their selection of rentals. The one we are currently renting is a nice Andare. They also just shipped us a 1/4...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bekka Could you have your dd describe how an "ideal" lesson would go to her? Like the whole 30 min/45 min or whatever? Maybe once that is described, she/you could bring the concerns to the teacher? Great idea! Thank you! I'm going to ask my daughter about it this afternoon while we practice.
Dealing with a request to change teachers.... My daughter (recently turned 7) has been with the same teacher for 4 years and for the past month or so she's been sighing when I bring up her lessons. When I ask her about her response she says, "It's boring. She talks so much and I don't get very much done." I should tell you that we all *adore* this teacher. She is so positive. So caring and kind. So very encouraging to youngsters. She has a way with the little...
We had another rehearsal, so here I am to give an update. After reading through your responses and giving it more thought, I realized that she values this activity as a time to go off and do things apart from me. So her look to me when I held up the paper was a fierce as it was probably because ... well, there I was. In her mind this was more about her flying solo. Before rehearsal, she and I had lunch together and chatted about the upcoming event. She always...
A great thing to add is sprouted mung beans. I remember eating just sprouted mung beans, with some sliced onion, drizzled with lemon and sprinkled with salt. So good for you and refreshing! Mung beans are easy to sprout. Might take a couple of days and a couple rinses.
Quote: Originally Posted by zeldamomma ...Now she's almost 9, and if I see her having trouble with something, I will ask her if she wants help, or make a make an observation like "when I do ___, I find that ___ sometimes makes it easier." But I don't jump in and help, unless she wants help, even if I can see she's doing it wrong. Given the opportunity, she generally figures things out or asks for help eventually. Another thought-- could you help her...
Quote: Originally Posted by happysmileylady My DH does not take corrective assitiance very well either. We have talked at length about it. He takes those types of things SO personally. He feels like it's a personal insult, like it's insinuating that he's too stupid/weak/lazy/whatever to handle things. Perhaps something similar is going on with her. Especially given that she's so much more reactive when it happens in public, perhaps she feels...
Maybe I wasn't clear, because in the above scenario it would seem very rude to me to not physically offer the paper. Let me try to describe it again and see if you still would feel patronized: Remember - there is only one copy of the paper and I just happen to have it in my hand and I happen to be sitting just next to you. We're in the midst of the flow of the rehearsal and suddenly the time comes for your verse. You've never seen the verse before and it's totally...