or Connect

Posts by mamaupupup

Ok, so I'm really not musically inclined...lots of great off-topic stories can be provided to prove my point!  So, I need help!  I'd like to build music into our children's lives, but we don't have time for music classes for the next 3-6 months.  How do you build music into your homeschooling?  I'd love all ideas, big and small! 
Hi there,   I aspire to be project-based.  I think there is an incredible richness in approaching learning this way.  My children are very young, so their attention to a specific topic can be easily distracted (by me, seasons, holidays, colds, grandparents, etc.).    We have been project-based with live animals we have found along the way (birds, insects, frogs, butterflies, etc.) and this has seemed really age appropriate for 4-5 year olds.  It is astounding to...
Ok, my favorite:  "she wants to play the bagpipes" !!!  Super cute!   
:) NV will be sent out the first week or two of January!
Hi there, I have twin 5 year olds.  I look nearly every day and sometimes post.  I see this as my practice year since the girls don't need to be officially enrolled until next Fall.  We are all over the map from a curriculum standpoint:  unschooly on days I feel like just following them, traditional schoolroom when I feel I need/want to expose them to something (often a moral or something related to an upcoming event), nature-based mentoring when I feel the need to be...
Hi there, First, based on my current understanding of language (which is NOT professional, it's just as a Mom), it sounds like your child's language is age-appropriate.  And I agree that an assessment is a great idea, just to be sure!   I have 5 year old twins--one with excellent (over the top) pronunciation skills and one who has had difficulty forming words from an early age (talk about fraternal!!!).  We did a speech assessment at 3 years old (very early on the...
For my girls' birthday I asked my family members to write down a story from their own childhoods--instead of sending presents.  Half my family actually did it!  They each emailed me a story which I formatted nicely in powerpoint with some clip art and printed them out in color (a rarity for us!).  I put each page in a plastic protective sleeve and then put them in a colorful binder.  We call this the "Family Story Book" and they loved it!    Instead of sending a...
Thank you all!  There are so many gems here!   Here are a few more I've come across:   Earth, we thank you for this food, for rest and home and all things good, for wind and rain and sun above, but most of all for those we love.   and      Thank you for the food we eat.   Thank you for the world so sweet. Thank you for the birds that sing. Thank you God for everything. Amen  
First, I think you're a great Mom to have such clarity about what you're seeing/feeling/thinking!  That's awesome!   I think your children will learn so much perseverence through gymnastics!  You might want to emphasize what you're seeing there..."All that hard work you've done practicing x, y, z and all the times you tried that move and now you've done it!  What perseverence!  How do you feel?"   I agree with fewer things helps my kids focus...that said, they...
:) we actually live adjacent to a high risk fire zone and were evacuated a few years ago due to wildfire!  Yep, that put things into perspective!  Really made me want to make sure I've scanned old pictures!!!!!