or Connect

Posts by mamaupupup

I love the "decorating your classroom" idea!  Wonderful!  I love the learning is sweet motto and the global connection (this is why hsing is so much fun!).  I've just started connecting with one of the local hs groups and hope we have a picnic!  I probably will do a staged picture since back to school is a milestone for me!    I think I'm also going to create a "school" logo with the girls each year--a circle with four quadrants which each of us gets to design.  That...
Wow.  It's such a shame that the community seems to be so closed!  Any chance you can integrate travel?  I noticed you have four children, so it might be difficult, I understand.    I recently read a book which may be inspiring to you:  the story of the Colfaxs who lived remotely with four boys and three of them ended up going to Harvard (note: that's not my measure of "success" but it is impressive).  The book is:  Hard Times in Paradise and was very motivating to...
What a crazy coincidence:  I was reading the Betsy Ross and the Silver Thimble book to the girls last night (it was Flag Day) and was disappointed that exactly this was written in the book:  "You do not know how to use Father's tools.  A saw is not for a little girl," and then the mom gives her a thimble... Seriously???    This is a toughy!  I've homeschooled my girls so far through preschool and we're starting HS Kindy this Fall.  Even without much external...
I've homeschooled my girls through preschool and we're looking forward to "Kindergarten" homeschooling after Labor Day.  (Which is kind of funny since we really are always learning...right?).  Anyhow, I want to create some wonderful traditions to kick off the year.  What traditions do you follow?  Or, what ideas do you have? 
Shortly after our twin girls were born the terrible shooting at Virginia Tech took place.  At that point I said, "I'm homeschooling through graduate school."  When it was time for preschool we toured most of the preschools in our town and I SETTLED for a very good one.  That lasted all of six weeks.  That's when I figured out that I had to and wanted to do what is appropriate for my children and my family (including me).  I've found a nature-based mentoring program...
Thanks Talia Rose--excellent links.  Within the link you recommended above, I found this article http://www.psr.org/resources/health-risks-releases-radioactivity.pdf .   This is perhaps the most balanced article I've read so far on how to personally assess potential harm.  Thank you!
Just thinking and wondering what you are telling your children.   Here's what we've done: For what it’s worth, our kids (4 year olds) are dealing with this well. Since I was stressed out and clearly had less patience than usual, I decided I was going to be upfront with the kids. We call it the “dirty cloud.”   On Tuesday the 15th, I sat down with the kids and a world map. I explained where Japan was and that they had had an earthquake where the ground jiggled and...
Hi bonjour mama -- I filled the water barrel to be prepared for any emergency.  Currently I'm feeling I'm at a 6 on  my 1 to 10 scale of concern.  One of the ways I've found to decrease my stress level give the current events is to channel my nervous energy into being prepared for any emergency.  Although we have had three significant wildfires in the past few years and been evacuated for one, I have really only had a makeshift set of supplies for emergencies.  (And,...
I thank you too--each of you.  I am so thankful for this thread.  I read it multiple times a day.    I received and filled my 55 gallon water barrel today.  That felt so good! Sending lots of peace your directions!
It is good to hear so many people are increasing their preparedness level for any emergency.  We are too/have been over the last week.    In an effort to provide something helpful to the forum, here's an excerpt from a note I sent to my friends and family this week:    Bedrooms.  Get shoes and flashlights in all the bedrooms (mark these ALL so that everyone puts these back.  get UGLY and easy-to-put on shoes so noone wants to do anything but leave these under the...