or Connect

Posts by hayleyvt

I recently peeked at a Volvo and thought that the seats looked a bit wider than the subarus as well. I think that my kids can deal with sitting next to each other... But they are big kids, I don't think anyone wants to be squished between two people, no matter what age . Thank you for the feedback. I am hoping to hear about the Audis as well, wondering if they are roomy at all.
So, I currently drive a toyota sienna AWD XLE.  I am ready to downsize to a smaller station wagon.  I have 3 children; a 10 year old (seatbelt), 6 year old (high back booster), and a 2 year old (forward facing 5 point harness).  We plan on trading in both of our cars this year, and My husband is planning on getting an SUV, possibly the Acadia with a 3rd row seat.  His car would be used for longer trips and family outings where a 3rd row is necessary.  I would like to...
Hello, I am not on this board very often, but I have a team meeting at school this month and we are brainstorming for some more ideas to help my first grader communicate more clearly. She is a very smart girl, with a severe motor articulation disorder; Apraxia of speech ( as well as coordination issues with her gross and fine motor) She is understood only 10% by unfamiliar listeners. she brings an IPad to school with the Touch Chat software, though it is not going as...
Thank you for the ideas :) I think that a letter recognizing all the wonderful ways she has impacted our life would be brilliant.  I also love the idea of having it sent to the principle is wonderful as well. I love the book idea, also DD drew a beautiful picture of her and her slp holding hands, and I am going to do something special with that...maybe have it copied onto a canvas bag?  framed?  I have to say, I have never felt a more personal connection with a...
It is the end of the year, and my DD will not be with her SLP next year, as she is heading into kindi, and this SLP is only pre-K.  I am heartbroken, she has advocated for my DD as if it were her own child.  She is amazing, and I don't think a starbucks gift card will do ;)  Any ideas for a gift to show my appreciation?
My DD just got her Ipad and although we are not fully up and running yet, it was the best option for us.  We have the touchchat program, and DD got to use it today for the first time.  One reason we went with this program was because we could customize the vocabulary.  The Ipad 2 has a very easy camera, and we have been snapping pictures of our family and pets and putting it in touchchat....I think that we will be using the camera a lot.   Have you been able to hold/play...
My DD was also in PT (and is now in OT as well) at a young age for coordination issues, and we mostly worked in our yard, having her climb stairs and lots of hopscotch, climbing, and everyday skills : pumping on the swing, running, hopping, skipping, etc... We have Honeybee hop at home and it is a HUGE hit :)  BTW, DD did not learn to jump until she was 3 ;) a trampoline is a great idea, disks or rings that can be placed on the floor for hopscotch or island hopping...
Hi Everyone! I just wanted to say this was such a helpful thread as I have been researching for my DD with special needs.  We are purchasing our ipad 2 this week, and having the software installed through a consultation company (one that fits tech to people with SN)...and then we start training the SLP, and her team of teachers and parents ;) on the application. DD got to test out the communication App...I believe it was Proloquo2???  It was so amazing to see her...
I think that there are some rugged products made for children through other educational organizations.  The local one that we plan on visiting is this one here: V.O.I.C.E.  and they had ones that were not as sleek looking (although I believe they do have ipods/ipads too), but ones with protective covers. I bet they make protective covers for ipods too. 
I am so glad I checked this board today :)  I have been considering getting my 4.5 year old an ipod touch, and I am thrilled to hear all about these awesome apps.  Our SLP mentioned using some technology for DD so that she could communicate better in Kindergarten next year, and so, we are in the beginning process of trying to get said tech. provided for her, but I don't think it would come home with us....I have no idea how it works when the school covers the cost of...