or Connect

Posts by jplain

1) My older daughter is 8, and will be getting her first vaccine this week, a Tdap.  What spacing would you recommend for the following Td doses, and how many are necessary?  (I've seen references to needing 2 or 3.) 2) My younger daughter is turning 6, with multiple food intolerances but no known true allergies aside from hypersensitivity to mosquito bites.  I'm not willing to begin vaccinating her yet, as I'd like to give her immune system a little more time to calm...
My friends are all unschoolers. We're not, though we're definitely relaxed. I just don't talk about schooly stuff. One of them asks me about it once in a while, in a friendly, interested way, but I prefer not to discuss it. (DD on the other hand, announced to our friends that she was learning how to read r-controlled vowels the other day. ) I'm not sure how I'd have responded to what that mom said to you about activities. It would have greatly annoyed me too. ...
I am in the US. My OB-gyn did ask for consent when I went in for a couple of gynecological surgical procedures at a teaching hospital, but I'm not sure I'd call it informed consent. She asked for my consent to do a pelvic exam while under anesthesia, but she didn't spell out the fact that the exam would be performed by the student who was going to be observing my procedures. I'm sure I'd have said yes if she'd explained in detail, but I still wish she'd been up front...
There actually is another diet called the Primal Diet, but it involves raw meat and raw eggs, preferably eaten when they're a bit spoiled. Ick. Paleo (with a capital P) is Loren Cordain's diet. He's written a couple of books and also runs a blog. His diet differs most significantly from the Primal Blueprint on the topic of saturated fat consumption: Cordain is not a big fan of saturated fat, though his stance has softened somewhat since his books were...
crunchy_mama, the book The Primal Blueprint was recommended to the OP on another thread, so I'm pretty sure that's the one she's talking about. But good point, as the other Primal diet is very different. To the OP, the biggest difference you'll find between TF and PB is with grains. On the PB you greatly limit or, ideally, eliminate grains. Since it is pretty controversial to suggest eliminating grains completely, I'll put a couple links on that topic below. One is...
Cooked meat is definitely okay on the Primal Blueprint. Mark Sisson has put up his diet/lifestyle philosophy on his website, Mark's Daily Apple. Honestly, you don't need his book as long as you're willing to spend lots of time reading the articles on his website. But the book is nice if you want it all laid out in a logical fashion. Here's the page that is most helpful for starting to figure it all out: Primal Blueprint 101. These two links from that page are...
Shoot. With that kind of family history, I'd ask him point blank if he wants to see his kids grow up. Cancer has a much harder time growing if there isn't a steady supply of starch and/or sugar in the diet. If you hold off on the sweets/starch, you give your immune system a much better shot at taking care of a precancerous growth. I do occasionally ask my type II diabetic DH this very question when he starts slacking on taking care of himself. Mind you, I'm not mean...
The healthiest according to who? I happen to think that the American Diabetes Association is killing diabetics with their dietary recommendations. I'd avoid sugars, grains and starches (pasta, rice, and potatoes), and minimize legumes (which also raise blood sugar a lot). I'd probably bring over some sort of chicken dish with a large green salad. You can't go wrong with a meaty crockpot dish, as long as you avoid adding sugar (ie. juice, fruit) and starch (pasta,...
I have to tell you that you've made my day, because I wasn't aware Kerrygold's products are grassfed. Yay! We usually use ghee (= butter clarified to remove protein) instead of butter because we're avoiding casein. When I make ghee, I don't worry too much about whether the butter was pasteurized, since I'm planning to get rid of the proteins anyway and pasteurization shouldn't have harmed the butter fat. Grassfed is the deciding factor for me, because I'm...
mbravebird, do you get leaf lard locally, or do you mail-order it?