or Connect

Posts by Zimbah

I've just started using time outs with my just-turned-3 year old.  I don't think I'm using them properly and it's not exactly helping!  On the few occasions I've used it, it's when things have escalated and DD1 is being extremely defiant/difficult.  The first time I did it, I sat with her on the bottom step.  I spent a long time making sure she sat with me while she tried to run off/cried/laughed.  Eventually she calmed down, sat quietly, and after a couple of minutes I...
Have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution?  It's got some good ideas.  I had difficulties with my DD1 going to sleep, she spent every evening alternately nursing and crying, it took hours to get her to sleep and was very hard work.  At around 9/10 months I did an adapted Baby Whisperer method of 'sleep training', where I did our bedtime routine, put her in the cot, then left the room.  If she cried I counted 20 seconds then went back in, soothed her (not nursing) and went...
It's hard and the house is a mess.  I have a just turned 3 year old and a 5 month old. Things I've found that help are accepting that beans on toast is an adequate dinner for DD1 (and me!); preparing snack-type meals that can be done in advance e.g. raw veg sticks, sliced ham, bread/sandwiches, so that I can just pull it out of the fridge when I need it; cooking and freezing meals to reheat in microwave; minimising housework (e.g. I never iron anything ever).  I try to...
I don't really understand what time they go to bed - do you mean they either go to sleep at 5pm and wake up at 3am, or they go to bed at 12pm and wake up at 5?  Am just trying to understand what the situation is.   On the early waking though, these are just some random thoughts I've got which you might have already considered/discounted/tried, but it's worth a go.  Is there any way you could rearrange rooms so that they don't share a room?  Even if it's only...
We have a cot side-carred onto our bed, DD (4 months) mainly sleeps in the cot apart from if I fall asleep while I'm feeding her.  I think she might start rolling soon, which will make it difficult to safely put her up to bed in the cot before I go to bed in the evening.  I'm planning to buy a bed guard, the mesh kind that you get for toddlers, and slide it under our mattress in the evenings so that she can't roll out of our cot.  Then when I come up to bed I'll move the...
Currently having same issue with 12 week old DD2, although at least her preferred bedtime is currently around 8.30 so I've got a bit of time first.  I do miss spending time with DH though.  I mostly go online (laptop) or listen to audiobooks with headphones.  When I feel frustrated I remind myself that I should be grateful, at this age with DD1 I was up till midnight bouncing on the yoga ball for hours while she cried, at least this time round its peaceful
How about a folding potty used as a seat reducer - google Potette.  Use it at home first till he-s used to it.  Sorry to be brief, tping one handed in dark nursung in bed,
My just 3 month old DD is attempting to roll from back to front, and has just learnt how to spin round in the same spot when on her back.  Obviously her mobility will only increase .  Her cot is side-carred onto our double bed.  When I'm in bed then I don't worry about her safety as I am aware of where she is in the bed, but I'm not sure what to do about nap times and if she starts going to bed before I do.  She's a big baby, almost too big for her moses basket so that...
Do you all dry pail?  I used cloth nappies with DD1 and used a wet pail system - I put the nappies (Easy Peasy Nappies, a one-size) but not the wraps into a mesh bag in a bucket filled with water and a little bit of white vinegar to soak them.  Every two days I would empty out the bucket, put the bag in the washing machine with the wraps and do a normal wash cycle.  I can't remember how I got the bf poo off, I think I used liners.   Now with DD2 (6 weeks old) I've...
DD2, almost 6 weeks, really likes her dummy.  We started giving her one at around 3 weeks as she was often rooting after she'd breastfed but didn't want to feed again - if I persisted in encouraging her to feed, she would either just cry or eat and throw up the whole lot (not just spit-up).  I have a lot of milk so she can't just suck for comfort wihtout getting a mouthful of milk.  I just feel bad that she has a dummy in her mouth probably 50% of the time, but if that's...