or Connect

Posts by jtkkmom

If you are able to take the time, one great way is just to take your baby to bed for 3 days. This gives your body lots of extra time which allows your body to produce more milk. It also allows your baby more opportunities to nurse which will then cue your body to make more milk. Does your baby look too thin to you? Are you using a growth chart for typical babies? Babies with DS often don't grow at the same rate as typical babies so it is more important that he continues...
How old is your son? It might be helpful in giving more age appropriate suggestions. In general, you just need to be very consistent with your expectations as well as consequences. With a young child this may be as simple as redirecting the behavior each time. With a bit older child perhaps a time out would be more effective. I found that my dd didn't always respond even when she understood - she is very independent & doesn't always agree with my rules! lol:)
Congratulations on your pregnancy. As some of the other pp's said, most of us families of kids with DS are very positive. We have been so blessed & I am the proudest mommy to my just turned 5 year old with DS. The Baby Center board is the only board that I have heard of with a group specifically for moms to be who are expecting babies with DS. It is a wonderful, supportive boards & I'm sure the ladies there will make you feel right at home. Their Down syndrome board is...
I don't comment a whole lot on this forum, so I hope it is ok to give my opinion. I think it is appropriate to ask here & the most likely place that I know of at MDC to find an answer. I'm sure you didn't mean to offend anyone. Personally, I try to only take offense if someone's intentions are negative. However, as an aunt of a child with DS, it is a good lesson to learn that as parents of kids with DS, many of us consider ourselves lucky & blessed too. There are also...
I have not used the Family Hope Center, however, I am doing a similar program through ICAN. I am thrilled with the results that I am seeing. My daughter is doing very well in all areas & in some areas such as math & especially reading is way ahead of her typical peers. She turned 4 a few months ago & was recently evaluated at a grade 2 level in reading. Check out my blog which us in my siggy if you want to hear more. We did a home neurodevelopmental (ND) program for the...
Congratulations on your new baby boy. He is adorable! I have a 4 year old daughter who has DS & is a wonderful little girl who is constantly amazing us. Don't let anyone put any limitations on your little guy & I'm sure he will amaze you too!
Congratulations on your new baby boy!  I have a dd with DS who just turned 4.   I think the most important thing is to remember that he is only going to be a baby for a short time, just like any other.  Take time to cuddle & enjoy the baby days.   Having said that, we were pretty active with trying to stimulate our dd.  In fact, she was reading words & knew her alphabet before age 2 & could read books by 3.5 years.  Of course, we started out with simpler things. ...
Congratulations on your new baby boy!  I have a dd with DS who just turned 4.   I think the most important thing is to remember that he is only going to be a baby for a short time, just like any other.  Take time to cuddle & enjoy the baby days.   Having said that, we were pretty active with trying to stimulate our dd.  In fact, she was reading words & knew her alphabet before age 2 & could read books by 3.5 years.  Of course, we started out with simpler things. ...
I also wanted to suggest magnesium. I have had tics since I was in grade school. Over time, I got better at controlling/redirecting, but when, as an adult, I finally tried taking magnesium, the change was tremendous. It was such a relief not to have to worry about controlling them.
My daughter likely wouldn't qualify as gifted, however she really excells in some areas, notably reading.  She knew the alphabet & the sounds each letter makes before she was 2.  She taught herself this through  a video as well as the leapfrog fridge magnet toy.  I have been working on her on reading though, & she started reading simple books at age 3.5. She just turned 4 last week & is reading at a grade one level.  I've been trying to get a good video of her reading...