or Connect

Posts by dearcory

The pool issue is a scary and you have to trust your gut. I can see the mil getting defensive though and bitter but without you being there, it's just too much of a risk. We live in a home that has a pool in the backyard and not much play space. My mil owns the home and we rent from her. When she moved out and we moved in I asked for a fence but I lost that battle between her and my husband because of the "aesthetics". I feel my kids are safe though because the doors are...
First off, are you an introvert or extrovert? Perhaps you are feeling lonely because you need lots of time around people to fill you up. You can't I second the suggestion to join a gym, it will do wonders for your mood and confidence, it has for me. If you stay consistent and take classes you have a chance of clicking with someone.   It takes time to build new friendships and I get the feeling it gets harder the older we get. People get sucked into their family lives...
For sure, quality and test scores are two different things. I want a school to have good testing scores but I don't want my kids to be a robot and fed data. Sure they may absorb the information while being "taught to the test" but I'm not sure what's on the tests even matters. What happens when you don't know anyone who has kids who attend said schools? I happen to know some people who have their kids at one of the highest ranked schools in the but I hear they don't do...
Anyone know if the school digger website is fairly accurate with school rankings? Considering a move and want to avoid the poorly ranked schools.   I was able to find schools ranked in the top 10-200 for the state in the district of our choice near homes we like, but there's also schools that are ranked in the 400-600's by homes we like as well.    Aside from greatschools and visiting schools in person, where else can you find information on school quality, test scores...
Thanks for the reply and input!    I thought Ellea was a fake name until I looked them up, but it's not. Perhaps adding the diaeresis can give that effect though.    "I" personally like the added effect of the diaeresis but i'm sure it will get dropped as time goes on, especially since it can't be added to a birth certificate.    Ellëa can also be spelled Elëa.    Please if anyone else reads this give some feedback! We are having a hard time with names and really...
Please help with the proper spelling for girl name!   Really like the name Aaliyah but leaning towards spelling it Ellea, that way we can perhaps call her Ell"ee" for short. Name reminds me of the wildly popular names Ellie, Elle and Ella...but because of our last name is very common, we don't want a common first name as well.   My mom suggested spelling it with an acute mark like in the names José or Chloë , but now we are trying to figure out whether we should use...
How cool! Yeah I'm curious to know my percentages too. Assuming I am at least half hispanic, the other half is a big guess!
Not that anyone cares, but thought I would update and say that everything worked out! They switched him to my preferred school that starts later. To get him comfortable we rode our bikes there together as a family. It only took 25 minutes with stops, and clocked in at around 3.2 miles, which is a little less than if I drove him. I can get to the school in under 10 minutes, but it's so nice out I am going to ride him to and from whenever possible.    He can see farm...
I just did a mapquest and basically I will be driving about 23 miles a day between just bussing to and from school. That's an hour of my day in the car. Add 7 miles and 15 minutes if he can go to any other school that starts at 8:55. Not that big of a deal, but it does add up over the course of a week. If I did that extra 7 miles on bike, that would be a plus too, especially since my little one loves the bike and i'd get some exercise.    Riding to and from school in the...
I am stressing and I need some outside opinions!   I just had my first meeting for iep preschool for my sons speech delay. They want him to attend AM and I think that would be nice,  but their 8:15 start time is going to stress out our mornings. He's going to attend 4 days a week.   As it stands, I take my 6 year old to school and the latest he can arrive is 8:10, which is usually when we make it there. It's about a 10 minute drive each way. Preschool at our "home...