or Connect

Posts by LaurenAnanas

Don't know if this helps or not, but the Arm's Reach is not "plasticy" at all when set up. The support parts are metal and only the joints and feet are plastic. The joints all around the top are covered by the bassinet insert fabric. So when you've got a pad and sheet in there, it's pretty nice. My friend has one that actually has a drapey cotton slipcover thing, which makes it look super plush.  Also, we did use it to create a bug-free play/nap zone while camping, with...
We're getting closer and closer to our homebirth and are looking for some short (<5 minutes), peaceful birthing videos to share with our 2.5 y.o. daughter.   We're not concerned about graphic angles, just some videos of moms working through contractions and/or pushing that show a baby at the end.   Any links you can suggest? Recommended YouTube search terms? 
Quote: I expect it depends on your State and your daycare provider and your pediatrician.   Our ped offered to write a letter explaining the medical needs for our delayed schedule for our provider, but they really don't seem to care. We give them an updated form when DD gets a shot, and they just stick it in her file. They've never said a word about it other than "thanks!" I was prepared to sign a waiver for a religious exemption, as allowed in Maryland, but it hasn't...
As far as I know, the only issues with teflon are the fumes that come off when it's heated above a certain temp. Like, stove top cooking temps, not even summer heat temps. The only risks with apparel would be during the application process, and I think that's been improved over the years to reduce the use of certain chemicals. Even if it somehow flaked off, the flakes would be inert.   The only way I think you'll find a wind/water resistant coat without some sort of...
Are you standard or basic?   As far as I know, almost every local OB practice and hospital-privileged Midwifery practice is in-network. But if you want a waterbirth, or an unmedicated birth even, you probably want to avoid Howard Co. Hospital. You may be able to do water birth with Kathy Sloane's CNM practice at Mercy in the city, and there is also a midwifery group at Maryland General.   For homebirth, Evelyn Mulhan, CNM, in Catonsville is in-network. I think...
Quote:   According to our research, the "blood brain barrier" isn't fully developed until 6 weeks, and we wanted to be well past that. Also, before 3 months fevers are riskier for infants and fevers are a common adverse reaction to several vaccines. In addition, we felt that having that time to learn and understand her normal would make it easier to identify any adverse reactions. So that's why we waited until then to start.   We didn't wait longer because DD was going to...
We did delayed and selective vax for our daughter and plan to do the same with the new baby. We read the Dr. Sears book and as many articles as we could find and then went to our awesome holistic ped with this plan: no vaccines until 3 months delay MMR until age 2, based on family history of reactions blood titer to determine need before doing a second HepB (many kids acheive immunity with just one) no varicella, as we'll try to get the pox for real (may...
Sure thing!   Most regular grocery stores carry some organic produce and products. Between the big chain groceries, smaller local chains, and local specialty stores, you can find almost everything you're looking for.    FYI- parts of Clarksville (and Ellicott City and Jessup) are also part of Columbia (some areas are just Columbia). Technically, Columbia is a giant privately managed housing development. For example, a friend of mine with an Ellicott City street...
I skipped it last time, am skipping it again this time. Two different sets of midwives and they've all been fine with it. I've never heard of routine temping, but I can see how personal experience would affect your midwife's advice.   If I have extended PROM, even with hibiclens rinses, with my unknown my GBS status I would probably consider temping post-birth. 
Quote: Yup. I have one homemade espresso most days, two on rough mornings, and it's still less caffeine than in a typical cup of coffee.