or Connect

Posts by kangamitroo

there is an event in NJ next month, Shaykha Fest, & i thought some of you might be interested: http://www.alrawiya.org/shaykhafest/2012speakers.html   if you plan to go, and have any interest in saying salaam in person, perhaps you could send me a PM.  
Quote: zebra, good luck with your move. i hope you get a moment's respite here & there. —kanga  
When Zachary Beaver came to town by Kimberly Willis Holt   I really enjoyed this book for middle grade readers/YA. I had picked it up several times and I'm glad I finally read it. I love "summer of crisis"/coming-of-age stories, and it was a bonus that it was set in a little TX town. (Once upon a time lived in Austin, and love stories set in the region.)
subbing. just started Faithful Place, my first by Tana French. not usually a mystery reader but my best friend gave her such a hearty endorsement. well, I could not get to sleep because of creepiness and wanting to know what would happen next. sure to be finished within the next day or 2, unless i get too spooked.
thanks for these suggestions. Holland73, i'll have to take your list to a bookstore and explore.   rebeleducation—i loved The Red Tent!  had not thought of that as a suggestion for my sister. time for a re-read, i think.
Derby Girl by Shauna Cross (aka Maggie Mayhem). this is the YA book that inspired "Whip It", the roller derby film with Ellen Page. In many ways the film followed the book closely. I enjoyed it, read it in one sitting. of course I saw the story in my head with the actors from the movie. a funny coming of age story, perfect for a misfit who lives in the sticks and longs for change.   Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer Holm quick YA read set in Key West during the...
some recent reads:   Where the streets had a name by Randa Abdel-Fattah a Palestinian girl (West Banker) travels with a friend into Jerusalem (illegal due to her West Banker status). her trip of about 6 miles takes 6+ hours due to the many checkpoints etc. along the way you get a close-up look of how hard things can be—but there is lots of uplift, too, to prevent total heartbreak. described as a "middle grades" book. the perspective is definitely one of...
i am looking for a book for my sister, who is about to turn 13—something she can turn to for inspiration, to be encouraged to listen to her conscience, and to help her make good choices. something from a female perspective would be great. spiritual perspective is good but not necessary. (i know this is very vague and general, but i figured it's worth asking.)   when i was her age i had a great group of friends, and we also had the punk music scene, self-published...
Jesus Freak: feeding healing raising the dead by Sara MIles. I loved this. the author runs a food pantry in San Francisco at an Episcopal church. she writes passionately about serving others, finding religion in loving each other. she is very unconventional in her views, and this book would be interesting, I think, to people who are not religious as well as to those who embrace the teachings of Jesus. she became christian in her 40s (and wrote an earlier book about her...
Quote: thanks for the link, P&L. it looks interesting.   I have been reading Scot McKnight's Fasting; his background is Anabaptist. the core of his view is that fasting is a response to a sacred moment (e.g. grief, repentance), and that it has deep roots in the Judeo-Christian tradition. (I found I wished he would take that further, and point out the similarities with Islamic fasting practices, too—especially regarding being mindful of the poor and giving charity along...