or Connect

Posts by Mamasota26

Sorry I haven't responded before. Wow, I wish there were a convention here for kids with microcephaly. Anyway to update on my situation, my son is staying consistently at the 10% range for head circumference. His doctors seem to be happy with this. They said that since he is staying consistent it worries them less. They would be more worried if he dropped off the growth charts completely. So we are still taking it day by day. He is doing everything he is supposed to so...
Bandgeek, Your daughter is beautiful! Thanks for sharing with me about her. My son we are not yet sure just how significant the brain injury is. I can tell you as a 5 month old he can already lift his head up, he moves around quite a bit. He has hypertonia (overactive muscle tone) and he is a hearty eater. No swallowing problems or eating problems of any kind so far. So everything is kind of up in the air so far. I don't know how he will be mentally, or if he will be...
My son has microcephaly from some the damage to his brain. I'm curious to know if anyone else has a child with microcephaly as well and how it has affected your children? My son is a chubby baby and has no feeding issues (other than he loves to eat!). Most people can't even tell our son has a smaller head, but i notice the difference.
Yes my son does have medicaid. Early Intervention, PT, and Help Me Grow are paid through that.
I haven't yet applied for SSI for my son because we don't yet know the extent of his problems. Can I apply with a diagnosis of epilepsy and white matter brain damage? That is about all we know right now.
I'm just curious how you do it? My son is still a baby ( almost 5 months old) and I am trying not to anticipate the struggle that lies ahead for us. We are a fairly low income family. I just wonder how we are going to make it if my son needs tons of therapy, needs to go to a special school, etc. I'd love to hear from other people in that situation or hear any advice. I am using Help Me Grow and Early Intervention in my state right now but not sure what I would do if my son...
Currently we are in the Early Intervention program and Help Me Grow. The Early Intervention woman is bringing a PT with her at the next visit to start working on his physical therapy. Is there anyone else I should contact about therapy or will they put me in touch with all the right people he might need in the future?? Thanks for giving me the ideas about classical music and stuff. I will definitely start playing it at home for both my kiddos (have a 2 year old as well...
I forgot to add that my son has no other problems so far that we can tell aside from the hypertonia, which is more in his arms than in his legs. He is a very strong little 4 month old and can already roll over and has extremely strong legs. He seems to be like any other 4 month old baby. He laughs, he will grab toys from his mobile, he smiles, he has good eye sight, he doesn't need any supplementation as far as formula goes. He takes similac advance and he is a chubber of...
Hello all. My name is Stephanie and I recently had a son, Dominic, who may be a special needs child. I say this because when my son Dominic was born, he got very sick a week after his birth. He wouldn't eat, was very lethargic, and developed this quickly spreading rash all over his whole body. We took him to the doctor who told us she thought he had a bacterial infection. So we took him to children's emergency room and they did all kinds of tests, including blood tests and...
Thank you ProtoLawyer for the info about how courts view the types of discipline. I have read that same information somewhere before. To everyone: I did not mean for this post to become a debate on what types of discipline are right or wrong. Nor am I uneducated about those disciplines. I'm well aware of gentle disciplining as well. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone with my post. I should have just left it out as I see it can ruffle feathers. Right now both...