or Connect

Posts by just_lily

I have had success in the past by speaking on behalf of my daughter and letting the other kids know how they are making DD feel.  "DD really just wants to play with you guys, and it is making her sad when you run away from her."    I think calling them out as mean or just glaring at them sets you up as 'that mean mom' and will make the other kids even less likely to want to include your kid.  Their first instinct would be to get defensive.    Granted, I have only...
You don't just take a dog off leash to teach them to come to you.  You do it in a confined location where the dog can't run off (and potentially bite a child!).  Or you do it with a long lead until they can be trusted.    Our local humane societies offer special training classes for aggressive dogs.  Maybe you can see if there is something like that in your area that you can suggest to your neighbour?  It might help get through to her how to manage her dog more than...
I would at least try moving up to a convertable seat - it is money you have to spend otherwise.  Or before you do that, have you checked if the straps on his infant seat need to be moved up?  As an infant whenever DD started to get really fussy in the car it was when she was getting too tall for the strap placement and she was all squished up!    I know you have probably tried a lot of things, but what about music?  Raffi was our friend for years - DH and I can sing...
Everyone I know that was concerned about setting up "bad habits" only caused themselves more stress.  Seriously.  It is way, way too early to worry about any of that - just do whatever you need to do to get through the day!!  Your baby is still adjusting to living in the outside world.    I started out holding DD for most of the day (she hated the restriction of being worn, but I was lucky she was small enough that my arms didn't get tired!).  For the first few weeks...
I wouldn't worry about tetanus for a dog bite.  I would keep a very close eye out for infection though.  I don't think any medical professionals actually look at a wound critically as to whether or not there is a real risk of tetanus, they just automatically go to the shot.   If you didn't know the dog I would think seriously about rabies, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.  I am so sorry you and your little one are going through this - it sounds scary!!
I am starting to make plans to go back to school in economics.  I have a bachelors in business admin and really enjoyed my economics courses.  I was considering a higher degree in finance, but it no longer appeals all that much, and the cost of doing a Masters in any business program is astronomical.  That led me back to econ.   I will have to take some additional undergrad courses as an open studies student before I can apply to the MA program.  If I take them...
I often put out a complementary type entree for kids, but they are welcome to the 'adult' food, and the adults are welcome to the 'kids' food too.  For exampl we will be having a bbq for DD's birthday and will be serving sausages and hot dogs (among other things).  But I am doing that because I expect most of the kids would simply prefer hot dogs.  If any of them would prefer a sausage, that is ok too.  iii   If I am just having someone over for dinner I usually just...
I don't think you can even just buy dry ice around here.  That would definitely freak me out.  But I second the suggestion of a block of ice rather than cubes.  And if you don't have on already, the 7-day coolers actually keep things cold significantly longer than the cheaper ones.  I have never had them last seven days, but 2 or 3 for sure.
The part of this story that scares me the most is the fact that they keep him tied up in an unfenced yard where he can see kids playing and other people out and about.  Tied up dogs just tend to get more and more aggressive.  I would be very, very concerned about letting my kids out in the backyard, them running around and being loud and kid-like, and then have the dog manage to get free and come after them.    I am not in the "All Pitts are Bad" camp, but they...
I took DD in at 2mo, and just last week at 3yo!!  We just signed on with a new family doc, and I thought I should take her in.    But my town also has weekly meet-up type things where new moms can go in and get their babies weighed and measured, speak to a public health nurse, and just chat amongst themselves.  I did that about once a month or so just to make sure DD was growing as she should.  She has always been on the smaller side (she is still only 20th %ile for...