or Connect

Posts by caleb's mommy

No, I wouldn't consider that CIO at all! My baby is 5mo as well (almost 6) and I can definitely relate to what you are going through. Babies at this age seem to be more assertive. They are learning about likes and dislikes. They are also learning that some things that we won't let them do are, theoretically, options. I do not HAVE to sleep right now, I could be playing. For instance, my ds was quite frustrated today when he wanted to grab my dh's can of pop. I...
I wonder if Caleb's mom felt like you were criticizing her choice to give children pop. That's the only reason I can think of for her reaction. I might feel a little embarrased if a mom called me to tell me something she disliked that I did with her child, but I would certainly comply! As Sleepies said, you're the mom! I agree with those who say that you need to pick and choose your battles, but this might be one that is important to you. An occasional pop would not...
I voted 2-3 years. My ds has watched a few minutes of the weather channel while I was figuring out how to dress him for the day, and my mother put cartoons on for him once, but I was left out of that decision. There are so many things to do and explore with a five-month-old. He isn't interested in watching much of anything! He wants to taste or touch everything.
I try to limit TV as much as possible. My ds has seen the weather channel a few times so I can figure out how to dress him, and I let him watch a few minutes of family videos. I think my biggest fear is that he will like TV too much, and that it would be tempting to let him watch it while I do chores or something. I doubt that I would, but I'd rather not risk it. I'd much rather interact with him. That said, I'd much rather someone turn on the TV for a few minutes...
I'm sorry that you have to make these kinds of decisions, Celeste. It is so hard when your family doesn't support you. When you're a parent, I think it's natural to struggle with some self doubt. I think it's even harder, though when your own family is questioning you. I think it's important to find some people who validate your opinions (like here!). I also think it's important to find family who you can compromise with. I would never let my ds be around my father,...
I have not had my baby yet, and am essentially in the same boat as you. I did have something to add, though. I wouldn't recommend taking childbirth classes that are sponsored through the hospital. I did that, and they spent almost all of the time talking about meds! We hardly had any time to practice any of the techniques. Now, if they can't get you to get it down when you're thinking rationally, it'll be a challenge to remember what to do in labor! Just a thought.
I think I can do the tablets, Emily! Thanks for the advice. I wish I started earlier in my pregnancy, but I guess that's the good thing about breastfeeding--I can still pass on those vitamins!
I wasn't sure who to call to find out the law in my state, but I did call the hospital I'll be delivering at and they could answer my questions. Does anyone know of any other good sources of Vitamin K? I'm not sure that I could eat much alfalfa (sorry, Emily ). I have heard about the Vitamin K shot, but what are the cons of the eye ointment? I haven't heard that one yet. Just another unnecessary procedure or something more?
It's been my experience that people who want you to justify your choices are having a hard time justifying their own. My mil, for example, has repeatedly questioned me because I do not believe in spanking children. Truthfully, I don't think she wants to debate spanking at all. I think she wants to convince me that spanking is okay so she won't feel guilty about her own choices. I think she fears that I'll judge her. The ironic thing is that I don't look at the world...