or Connect

Posts by forrestguy

I just want to say that I feel for you. My kids were really little when I split with their dad and I had such heart wrenching guilt so many times, esp. when they were crying to stay with me and not go to their dad's. This was five years ago and I'm just now starting to forgive myself for bringing them into this world and then divorcing their dad. And still when they're having a really bad day I tend to blame it on the fact that their lives are so stressful, living in...
My inner cynic comes from growing up in a college town and going to the Unitarian church in high school, which had a picture of Jesus holding a bucket of KFC in our youth room. My dad was an atheist, but also attended the church, not sure why. My whole family just has this idea that believing in god is silly. If I were ever to bring it up I think they would all look at me like I was crazy.
I grew up in a very cynical household and find it hard to take myself seriously when I think about praying. There's this inner critic laughing at myself for being so silly. I really believe this works, though. Do you guys talk out loud or in your head? Is there a ritual you go through each time? Is there a good way to phrase it? I am reading a book that says you should pray by acting like what you have already exists and giving thanks for it because that shows that...
I hate to say this, because I know how stressful it is having a toddler and being pregnant, but I see alot of red flags going up. I was married to an alcoholic, verbally abusive guy, and it doesn't get better for very long. When you're talkin about just two weeks without a drink, that's not long. I think that possibly your child is reacting to the stress in your lives and in your relationship. My ex and me used to get into screaming violent fights when my kids were...
My ex husband started trying to convince me that spanking was ok when my older ds was 1. I remember the first time he spanked him, he was around three and it was very sad, esp. since it coincided with him being weaned and his brother being born. Well, we're divorced now, my kids are eight and five and it's still an issue. He's said he's willing to look into another way, so any book recommendations would be highly appreciated. Sorry this is happening to you, it's got to...
I would worry about bribing with candy because that could lead to issues with sugar later on.
Looks like the last post in this thread was about a month ago, but this has reminded about the Virtues Guide, which we were using for a while and then put away. I need to revise the way we were using it, though. We were having a family meeting every week and picking a virtue from the book. The problem is, we ended up only talking about the virtue that morning and not following through, using it the rest of the week. How would you recommend incorporating all of them...
I know this was a while back that anyone has posted, but I have three boys. I love the idea of a boys only thread.
The most common ones in our house are KEEP THE CHAIR ON THE GROUND KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF EAT OVER YOUR PLATE STOP JUMPING ON THE COUCH
mine fight all the time too. I'd love some help with this issue. I read siblings without rivalry, and that helped a bit.