or Connect

Posts by forrestguy

trust your instincts
Yes! Yes! one on one time is a great idea. My kids ask for it now because we have done it for so long. It really makes a huge difference in our relationships. Even if I stay up with my 8 y/o for fifteen minutes after his little brothers go to sleep and talk and snuggle with him I can see the effects in the morning. Kim
Today my kids told me that I was "nice, but hot blooded". I am definately a yeller, although I've gotten a tiny bit better lately. What really helps is the same thing someone else said in that I pay really close attention to what they're doing and just make sure that they get straightened out quick, before I get to the point of yelling. My kids are eight and five, though, and they're getting pretty self sufficient. I can leave them to play on their own for 30 min. at a...
Oh man, the fighting issue is huge in our house. I only have three kids, I can't imagine more! Homeschooling is great, and I think ultimately it makes families stronger, but in my opinion they fight because they're together all the freakin time! My older two even sleep together(by choice), but still it's literally 24/7 that they're together. I would fight with someone that I spent that much time with, too. I think that if you could possibly find separate friends for...
Okay, the main reason why having kids over is stressful is because it's usually my older son's friends, as my younger one doesn't really have any close friends yet. So what happens is my younger one gets ignored and then mad. Even when they do include him in games, inevitably something happens and he runs off screaming. Also, I guess we're just still trying to find good matches. My son has a couple of good public school friends, including the kid across the street,...
I highly recommend hemp. It's very safe, obviously, since it's made from a plant. And I had never made a necklace before, I just looked online on how to make a hemp necklace and found a really simple way by just tying knots. Hemp is also really strong. No, no pieces have come off. For the design that I made you're going to need four pieces, two a little longer then the necklace you want and two five to six times as long. Then it's just a matter of tying the knots...
I weaned my son at 2 1/2 and then gradually he started back up again(even with no milk) and then I really had to wean him at four because I was pregnant with #3. After the baby was born he wanted to nurse, so I let him just for a little while, thinking he would try it and then get over it. He is five now and still trying to nurse! He gets offended when I tell him no and doesn't seem to understand why. I don't feel like he's obsessed with breasts, in particular, just...
This is not meant in a disrespectful or judgmental way AT ALL, but I'm wondering if these kinds of kids existed 100 years ago. I wonder how much of this is societal and due to the way that we raise kids now. And don't get me wrong, my kids have meltdowns all the time, I just can't really picture one of those pioneer kids having a meltdown. Are we giving them too much? Are we not giving them enough chores and responsibilities? I know I get depressed when I don't have...
I know what you mean about them getting more annoying as they get older. Maybe it's just because I have the two to compare, but my eight year old is much more irritating then my five year old. My five year old at least still hugs on me and tells me he loves me. My eight year old is just full of this attitude. It drives me nuts. I'm hoping that by nine or ten it'll get a little better. I think for him he's in this weird in between stage, trying to have independence,...
No offense to any teachers that might be out there but it doesn't exactly take a genius to get a teaching certificate. I think the only thing one might really get out of it is classroom management, which hsers don't need anyway.